Friday, September 4, 2020

Right Now

There's been a lot going on and I've felt a little twitchy that we are at summer's end. For months, days seemed to stand still and then here we are on the cusp of Labor Day. It has worked best for me to tackle one thing at a time. It's the only way I know to control the strong urge to panic. And while so many things suck right now, once I decided to bask instead of wallow, I'm a much happier person.

We planned to move Teddy to his apartment so he could conduct his virtual learning one week ago. The truck Mike drove 100 miles round trip to pick up wasn't there. It was another lesson in turning those lemons into lemonade. We were able to secure a truck for Sunday and that meant another family weekend and more time to shop and pack, which we needed. After a day of schlepping with Ted, we invited Pete and Sue over for dessert and drinks. It's been a couple weeks so we had much to catch up on.

Saturday we met my aunt and uncle for dinner on the quintessential end of summer night. We begged until we got a table on the patio where we enjoyed the two man band, the pinot, PBRs and pizza.  Most of all, time together. Ted's last supper was a double cheeseburger after wings and cheese curds. 





We loaded the truck Sunday morning with few curse words or raised voices. Ted said a sad goodbye to Tig, and we hit the road only an hour later than intended. My parents were waiting for us when we made it to Brooks Street. I don't know what we would have done without them. My dad was a workhorse and Judy cleaned and put together the entire kitchen. It was a small miracle that they got the sectional into the living room. It involved some surgery, lots of sweat and ardent prayers. It was more manna from heaven that all the food fit in the pantry and freezer. It's true, I was a little underwhelmed when I first walked through the apartment. Empty, it showed all the dirt and every ding, but by the time we left, it was a cozy bach pad and the boys were smiling, and ready for us to go. We were smiling too, but also popping Advil and counting our bruises. Ready as well.





  




On the way home, Lily pointed out that I didn't cry when we left. It's true. This time I felt like we were leaving Teddy in a much more comfortable space and with friends. I had excitement for him. I could tell he shared my enthusiasm. That definitely eases the separation. And while it was nice to have him at home the past 6 months, it was time for him to go out and be a college student again. Plus we've Face timed every day. He's called to say Hi, to shop for desks, to get advice on how long to cook chicken, and to ask me to pay the speeding ticket he got on his first day home in March. All proof that it was indeed time.

Lily started her junior year on Tuesday at the dining room table. I appreciate the more rigid schedule and the beefed up content, but I can see that it is no fun to be tied to her device all day. In fact, it's exhausting and she barely has time for lunch. Yesterday after a full day of virtual learning and a 9 hole golf meet, she was too tired to do her homework. This morning, I overheard her US History class from my spot at the kitchen island. I was impressed, but I'm also hopeful that some level of in person learning will commence sooner than later. And the big news is that she got her license yesterday. She can drive herself to work this afternoon! Another right of passage.


I'm looking forward to the long holiday weekend. We have some things to take care of around the house and some dinner plans, but it will mostly be a much deserved relaxing stretch of days.

No comments: