Thursday, September 10, 2020

Strange Times

 I don't know if it takes 4 weeks or 6 weeks to make or break a habit. I was going to Google that, but it doesn't much matter. I've had at least 6 months so plenty of time. Over the last 180 plus days, daily life has changed in ways big and small, healthy and more questionably so. Summer is always a time of longer leashes and freer reign. It was a natural decision to finally set some intentions after Labor Day. Three days in, I have to confess that change is hard despite my noble intentions.

I am of the firm belief that we set the tone for the day in the first morning hours. That's exactly why I like to get up before the rest of the house. I sneak in an hour of solitude. I make my lemon water, read a few pages, motivate for a little exercise, literally and figuratively start the day on the right foot. I'm not a crack ass kinda girl. I'm talking about 7 o'clock. I've become a 9 o'clocker. I've been two hours too late for 6 months because everything shifted when we were hunkered down at home. Now the weather's shifted too. This week's 50 degree temps and constant rain have been a shock to the system and a wrench to my intentions. I have been unable to budge any earlier.

Lily posed a hypothetical question the other night at dinner. She asked, Would you give up half of your belongings to only need 4 hours of sleep a night? Eccck no, I said without pause. I love me my sleep (and my things). In the moment, I realized I was probably admitting to low level depression (and materialism). Thank you Covid.

I cannot remember dressing like fall before October, but I've been wearing cozy sweaters and suede tennies all week. I left Tigger snuggled in his cloud this morning not begging at the back door. He's still there. When I  stepped into the office this morning, I walked into a thick wall of heat. Alan had it cranked up. It's one of the idiosyncrasies of working with senior citizens. They are always cold. Today I was too. I'm holding on to next week's forecast, which promises sun and the 70s. Lily's been wearing one of her dad's sweatshirts and wrapped in an afghan at the dining room table, her school space. Twice this week she played matches in the cold driving rain. Last night she came home with a 49 in that blight. Her reward was a long, hot shower. After dinner, she was back at her table for hours of homework. Already this arrangement is uninspiring at best and taxing at worst.

Listening to the news this morning, I learned that several dorms at Madison are under lock down. The dorm Ted lived in for the 5 months he was at school was one of them. I am seriously worried about these kids and their mental health. One week into classes and they are told to stay in their cells rooms 24/7 for 14 days. No class, no dining hall, no gym, no going outside. This isn't natural. This makes Ted's freshman year look like winning the lottery. And I know that the students' health is the concern, but I shake my head at how anyone really thought this wasn't going to happen. Hello?

Ted just Face Timed. He's happy in his apartment. His desk was delivered today so now he has a place in his room to study. He was able to help Lily with her calculus homework. I was unable to help him set up his second monitor. Our IT guy is at the cabin this weekend with his brother. Ted's making chicken breasts, roasted fingerling potatoes and broccoli for dinner. He's eating better than us. Be still my mama heart. I think he's in good shape until grandpa comes for a visit and a shopping run.

And if I have to shout out to one of the positive things to come out of these unprecedented times, I'd have to say it's an increased appreciation for the people in our lives, for our connections, our tribes. Face Time and sleep too.



No comments: