Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Winter Inventory

It's been quite a while since I've written a smash up of life at present and since I don't know where to begin with the odds and ends I want to capture, this seems like a fine start.

Reading: I'm about to finish Before We Were Yours for book club on Friday. I don't know that I'd have read it by choice, but it's been a decent selection: rather sad and predictable, but entertaining and educating too. I'm about to start Dani Shapiro's new memoir Inheritance. I've been waiting for this one for what feels like forever. Shapiro's stories are always intimate and illuminating. I feel like her confidant, friend, student, sister.


Then I'll likely get into Where the Crawdads Sing, which I was lucky to receive for Christmas. I didn't love much of what I read in the last months of the year so I'm carefully curating my 2019 chosen reads. Stay tuned.

Wondering: How long this feeling of contentedness will last. I wake up feeling grateful in the morning and I go to bed every night feeling thankful. Actually, it's more than that. I feel happy and light too. It's not exactly my nature so I find myself suspicious of these buoyant feelings.


I'm also wondering what my next chapter looks like because I know there will be one. I feel like I'm living my life in reverse. My work life. Most people have a myriad of experiences when they are young and getting started. I feel like I may have more change in the prime of my working years after spending 25+ years at one job. I'll stay put as long as I am contributing and valued where I am, but I'm no longer terrified to try something new if the situation warrants it.

Thinking: Why I have the recurring dream that I've wasted a whole semester by not attending a single college class and now I have to show up for the exam I'm not prepared for. In fact, I don't even know where the exam is. The campus is unfamiliar. I am lost. Why I often dream that I'm on some exotic vacation, but I never even step foot out of the room. These aren't exactly dreams of panic. It's more regret.


Watching: Mike and I have been on a movie kick. Nothing I have to taut as a must see. Bird Box was meh. The Apostle was wtf. Seven Pounds was really? The Invasion was fine. Hereditary almost had us and then that end was so so so...out there. I think the glut of content takes away from the quality.


I was fortunate to see The Book of Mormon again. I laughed so hard. Blushed too. And also felt a little sorry that I skipped church that morning. I should probably have confession. Lily and I haven't seen a single high school show this year. I love theatre hopping and luckily we still have the spring musical season to look forward to.

Eating: I haven't had a whole heck of a lot of kitchen inspiration lately. I feel like I'm always making the same things. I'm working on adding some new recipes to the rotation at Casa Wags. Unfortunately, most of the recipes I want to try don't appeal to one or both of the kids. Sometimes that doesn't stop me though.


This very simple Smitten Kitchen recipe for Cabbage Soup with Farro was literally calling to me. I had to make it. I have to make it again. Mike and I loved it. It was such a delicious example of simplicity and depth and comfort. You must love cabbage though if you call this a meal. I enjoyed it so much that I shared some with two friends because #foodislove. And I left the last bowl for Mike. #thatislove


Lily, Mike and I made a pit stop at a local bakery. Simma's treats were a staple of my childhood. We picked up some pastries and cakes for a friend turning 50 that day and then stood in line all over again to take home some morning buns.


They became French toast the next morning, but not before Ted ate one with ice cream the night before as dessert. In hindsight we all agreed, they're best left as is. It's such an important lesson too.


Wanting; More hours in a day...days in a week...weeks in a year. A crystal ball. Winning lottery numbers. Peace on earth. Enough food and clean water for the hungry. Shelter for the homeless. Hope for the hopeless. Some joy for all hearts. Every soul to feel safe and loved.

Enjoying: Where we are right now...my little family of four. The kids have active social lives, but they are open to some family time too. Mike and I have been getting out or entertaining in more. It's nice. We have a couple overnight getaways and a dinner party in our purview. We've both been getting out on our own a bit more with friends too. It feels good. And at the same time, I am happy as a clam staying home sweet home all day and night too. Oh, Saturday bumming, going out for lunch and this Classic Italian from the original Milwaukee sub shop. It's really the little things in life.


Loving: Anne Taylor blouses. I've always been a sweater girl this time of year, but I've recently become a big fan of their pretty shirts. Classic Bass Weejuns. Scarves. Christmas tree lights (yes...still). Lily's room redo. It's boho meets shabby sheek. January. Talks with Teddy. He's got a lot of insight for an 18 year old. Talks with Lily too. She's another one wise beyond her years. Life.



No comments: