Thursday, January 17, 2019

Dear Theodore Michael,



As I type this I wonder, will you be Teddy or become Theo, or just Ted? That was the point when we gave you your name: plentiful and strong options. I really feel that you cannot go wrong. There's not a single derivative you've not been called. Except maybe Edward. Although you have been known as Tedward, for the record.

When I came home from work yesterday, you'd just wrapped up your video interview with Boulder for a scholarship you're pursuing. You were excited to share with me some of the questions, but mostly your answers. I admire your confidence. You said, I'm good at interviews. I'm a good presenter. I think quick on my feet. And it did sound that things went swell. We need it and other things to go well as Colorado is double the tuition as Madison. Madison another fine institution, which is not only cheaper, but also much closer.

It's crossed my mind that's maybe why you want to go to Boulder: to really leave the nest. You know, for a long while I was convinced it was the distant proximity as well as the surrounding slopes. Talking with you today, I think it's much more than that. You are really thinking about your future. You have done your research and you've found that this business school is a better fit for you. I can see how. I can see why. There are some unique and appealing aspects about the experience Boulder offers.

I'm impressed that you're working hard to secure scholarship money that makes it a more viable an option. You're putting skin in the game and that shows a lot. A lot of character and commitment. One of the questions you were asked during your interview today was, What makes a good leader? Your answer was, Being a good speaker, but also a good listener. Patience and bravery. I couldn't agree more.

While we're in the thick of figuring out next year (or really this fall..ugh), I am trying hard to not forget about the here and the now. I don't get the sense that you want to speed the plow, or rush through this time and space any more than I do. This is sort of a grace-filled time. The really hard work is done and now you can enjoy the rest of senior year with your squad of friends...many of whom you've been together with since your school days started. I love that you have a standing Tuesday night date to watch Marvel movies with the boys. I don't mind when I see random guest charges at the club because you need to field a team for basketball. It's all good.

I love you Teddy and I'm very proud of you. Sure, there are a few things I wish you'd pay more attention to, but they pale in comparison to the many things that you take seriously, that you take pride in.

And for the record, I saw you were teary eyed at the end of Silver Linings Playbook yesterday afternoon and it warmed my heart. You see another essential quality of a great leader is heart.

I love you T. Bone.

XX,

Mom

No comments: