Monday, January 28, 2019

Weekending

Today's another snow day and I'm giddy like a kid. Although I have no desire to bundle up and go out into the world. I  finished Inheritance this morning. I couldn't help myself. I didn't want to breeze through it, and yet I needed to know how it ended. Of course, because it is a memoir of Shapiro's life, there is no ending. Just a pause. The story is still unfolding. It was a powerful tale of identity and secrecy. It was provocative. Who am I? Why an I here? How shall I live? I don't think these fundamental spiritual questions are often given the weight they call for. Dani is never afraid to take them on. Her writing is both humbling and empowering.

I'm trying to write here, but Tigger is making it quite difficult. He's been glued to my side since last night. I think he's feeling the hygge right along with me. That was the tenor of the entire weekend. The kids had a scheduled day off today after exams last week so they are mildly disappointed that all the schools in the vicinity are closed now too. They probably aren't thrilled that I'm home either, although I know Ted appreciated the eggs benedict I made him for breakfast.

I was busy in the kitchen for a good chunk of the day yesterday. Cooking gives me measurable peace. It's like therapy to mix and chop and season. I made banana bread because I can't throw away overripe bananas. I can't throw them away because banana bread is Ted's love language. Then a made a batch of peanut butter cookies because they are Lily's jam. I made pheasant bread just because and a big pot of turkey chili. I had dinner simmering away in the crock pot on the counter all day. My dad stopped by midday to deliver his much loved beef barley soup, a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine. We shouldn't have to leave the house until June.

It was a nice surprise to have a short, unexpected visit with him. And then late afternoon my brother and sister in law stopped by. Their impending visit was solely responsible for the shower I very much needed.

The kids were busy with friends all weekend. Mike and I decided to see Green Book Saturday night. It was better than I expected. It was poignant without feeling forced or overdone. We laughed more than I expected too.

So not much to report or espouse upon. Just that I am enjoying the uneventful days of January and the snow that forces us to slow down. I find that it's in these lingering moments that the extraordinary ordinary is the most evident.








No comments: