Sunday, October 20, 2019

Where to Begin



Life has been good lately. Full. We're settling into our fall routines This is my favorite time of year. October is the absolute sweet spot for me. I look forward to starting my days with a brisk walk and a podcast. It makes me crazy happy to stroll along the jewel-toned parkway...not hot, not cold. Just right. If only these Indian summer days could endure. But it all goes and too fast, and too soon.


We visited Teddy last weekend for Homecoming. It's been awhile since we went back for the festivities as alumni. We were there as parents this time, and I could feel the Badger connection even stronger now that we have a legacy. It's a different kind of pride. It was a much looked forward to 24 hour family reunion. It warms my heart that T Bone was genuinely happy to see us. After we dropped off supplies: healthy snacks, a batch of smores cookies and a few containers of his favorite dinner ready to eat, we made our way to State Street to buy Lily a little swag for the game. Ted scored her a ticker in the student section and the two of them headed to Camp Randall after we had lunch at the Nitty Gritty. It's been a long time since I had a Gritty Burger and it was as good as I remember. Mike and I made our way back to State Street to watch the game at Hop Cat and we were both perfectly happy and warm and not at all thirsty.






After the Badger blow-out, the four of met up at Memorial Union where we got a perfectly appointed table in Der Rathskeller. Ted ordered his favorite chicken Alfredo pizza and a giant pretzel for us to share. We played hearts and hung out in the warm, toasty, festive union. It was far better than taking Lil to a bar. We parted ways after dark. Ted went to meet up with friends and we walked all the way up State Street to the capitol. We stopped off at Argus for a night cap and to call an Uber to take us back to our off-campus hotel. It was only 9 o'clock, but it felt like midnight.




Lil wanted a hot shower and some quiet time so Mike and I headed to the bar where we made friends with other parents visiting for the weekend. We exchanged stories and bonded over being in the exact same spot literally and figuratively.


In the morning, we scooped up Ted for his first ever breakfast at the Curve. I'm glad we waited for a table because it truly is one of Madison's best breakfasts. Ted tried to order two pancakes, but Mary said not possible. They are enormous and thick and the size of a dinner plate. She raised her eye brows when he said one cake with two eggs, sausage, potatoes and toast but she put in the order and I could tell she was quite impressed when he just about cleaned his plates.




We came home with bags of laundry. Grandpa brokered a deal. I was to do Ted's laundry and then he picked it up this week and delivered it. Boy's blessed. Also grateful. I was too, because I wanted to get my hands on those sheets. He sent a picture that night of his chicken thighs, wild rice and asparagus plated for dinner. Be still my mama heart.


When Grandpa delivered his laundry Friday, he took Ted and Yash for more Gritty burgers and then he left them with ready to heat up containers of breakfast. Teddy loves Grandpa's breakfast. I'm pretty sure Yash does too now. Grandpa also loves Yash and his perfect British manners. I knew that he would pick his brain about Hong Kong, which is where he is from. Grandpa left just before the boys came from Minnesota and Indiana for the weekend. We haven't heard much from 711 Manning the past few days.



Friday my brother called and suggested happy hour. It's been awhile since we've been together and it was long overdue. Those impromptu Friday nights are always my favorite. We caught up, ordered Poco Loco and uncorked a couple bottles.


Then last night, Mike and I went out for a fancy steak house dinner. It was delicious and lovely and perfect after a day of yard work and chores. Tomorrow we are married 24 years. That is kind of hard to believe, but also beautiful and something to be proud of.



And if October is my favorite month, Sunday is my favorite day. The first day of the week feels more like the last to me and I love the endless possibilities it invites. This morning I was up early to have coffee with my friend who needed me this week and I wasn't there. I have tremendous guilt for not being there, but always better late than never. We cried, we laughed. We looked back and then forward and we both felt lighter after a few hours together.


The rest of today will involve a work out, some cleaning, a little cooking. Lily has requested mashed sweet potatoes and sauteed Brussels sprouts for dinner. I think they'll pair well with a mustard and leek pan sauced chicken breast recipe I've been thinking about. I have a beautiful leek from the Farmer Market this week. We'll FaceTime Ted before the night is through. And truthfully, I'll likely fall asleep in the middle of an episode of Succession. That is more a reflection of the fullness of life lately rather than a review of the series. I am really enjoying the show.


I'm looking forward to another week of October. More walks. Always books. Lily's golf banquet. Tickets to see Hamilton. More family time. Ted comes home Friday. Windmill Beach on Saturday. It's all good. Damn good.






No comments: