Friday, October 4, 2019

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

First and foremost...it's Friday. This has felt like the eternal week.

We had to say goodbye to our sweet Peanut and there is relief in knowing that he is no longer suffering. We arrived at the decision as a family. Both kids saw that we tried everything we could and realized that it was time. Peanut is Lily's cat so I was worried most about her. We got him when she was four. All she remembers is life with Peanut. She's doing well. Tigger, on the other hand, seems confused. He's been looking for Peanut. They were together since day one. Breaks my heart.


He's missing his Teddy too.


I was also worried about Teddy. Adjusting to being away from home and then having to deal with a loss is kind of a lot. We let him FaceTime with Peanut and then he sent us pictures and videos that made us laugh and cry all night.

He had a big week too. Papers and exams. Mid-terms!? Excuse me? Did we not just move him into the dorm? He buckled down and got it done. I read his paper. I was impressed. He feels good about his exams. Now he feels good about the weekend and football Saturday.




Lily remarked that I cried harder saying goodbye to Peanut than Teddy when we left him in Madison. I reminded her that Teddy will be coming home.

This girl has Homecoming this weekend. She has two dresses to chose from and plans to get ready with her girlfriends. Golf is over. She is ready to take on school. This semester is harder than she expected. She's not loving chemistry or A Tale of Two Cities. As an English major and a lit lover, I can say that Dickens is an acquired taste.


I'm on track to exercise 6 out of 7 days this week. I feel strong in body and spirit.


I read The Silent Patient this week. It was a compelling two night character study. I'm back to my books even as the fall line-up starts. I'm just not feeling television right now.

I've been struggling with kitchen inspiration lately. Without Teddy no one is keeping me accountable. He would ask me what's for dinner at breakfast. I'm buying too much. He ate for two. I haven't religiously been to the farmer's market, but I have had moments.

Like this ode to Rosie: Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Chocolate Ganache. I made it for my Dad's birthday and everyone had a slice. That is rather something because we are not dessert people.


Mike and I perfected a new Marsala sauce inspired by our recent cooking class. It's a bit of a smash up between our recipe and Glorioso's. More marsala, an assortment of mushrooms, fresh herbs.


Smitten Kitchen's Broccoli Melts were Lily approved. I made them Friday night for dinner and then she wanted them again for Saturday lunch. Next time I will reduce the lemon...it was a little bit of a show stealer for my palette.


Sunday we met my Dad and Judy at Gloriosos after their brunch class. It was my Dad's birthday gift and the first gift we've given him in a long time that he was truly excited about. After we stocked up on our faves, we went for a rainy afternoon happy hour. It was a short, sweet, spontaneous soiree.



We came home and gathered around the island for a game of Wizard. Lily and I love the WizARD!


She had off Monday so I cut out midday and we went to lunch and then to her favorite store. We are officially done with back to school shopping because there's mo more room in her closet or money in my wallet.

Christmas is in 82 days.

It's the beginning of October. October is my favorite month of the year. 

No comments: