Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Alone in the Dark

Last night I put my head on my pillow only to find myself monkey mind awake.
Now I lay me down to sleep,
Slumber elusive even as I pulled out all my sleepytime tricks.
I pray the lord my soul to keep.
Every sound in the house at rest an irritation, a threat.
If I should die before I wake,
No heroics, but just enough energy to scurry down the hall and tuck myself into Ted's empty bed.
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I finally slept dreaming all night of ghosts not in my house, but of the past.
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Asleep while aware of the relentless wind gusting at speeds that sounded a challenge to even my house made of sturdy siding and strong cement bricks.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Asleep because I've yet to meet a ghost who scares me.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...
Asleep because I have respect for a formidable storm.
World without end.
Asleep. but not at rest.
May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Daybreak came too soon and did not usher in the sun.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
I'm awake, but dreaming of staying in bed all gray day long.
Amen.

No comments: