Friday, May 24, 2019

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The day off. I really need it. I am trying to fill it with equal parts wants and needs. Taking time to be here is a want...and I guess a need too. I'd like to pen a proper post, but that will have to wait. Instead I will gather the mishmash of my recent days. Good and full days. This is a busy time of year. A busy time of life. Just where we are hit me hard yesterday as I sat in the school gym watching Teddy's AP Spanish class perform the Sevillanas. Everything is culminating. I sat beside a friend's mom I know well, and well, I felt that familiar lump in my throat that my mom wasn't on my other side. Still I felt grateful not to be alone. She mused how I must know many of the dancers. "Yes," I mused, "These are some good kids." I thought to myself...and so grown up. How did this happen? I've known so many of them from just about the beginning. I felt a mama's pride for them all as they are about to go their own ways and do good in this world. Ted looked so handsome. No longer boyishly is what struck me. I wanted to tell him to lose the gum, but that he spent the whole day dancing in front of the entire school made me think better of it. He came home and crashed on his bedroom floor exhausted. He can play 36 consecutive holes of golf, but a day of dancing the Sevillanas does him in. If he ever finds himself in Spain, he'll fit right in.







Last week he made First Team All Conference and this week he qualified individually for Sectionals. His golf season has been gratifying. And it goes on. He has a chance to make it to State. I say chance because golf is so tricky. Fickle. He shot an impressive 69 on a tough course Saturday and then two days later he shot 83 on the same course. One of those rounds is a State qualifier. One is not. No worries though because he's had a great time.




He's got his final AP exam today and then he coasts into the end of senior year. We're in the thick of planning a graduation celebration. We as in Mike and I together with Pete and Sue. Olivia a little too. Ted is just going to show up. Going through the old pictures is a total time suck. An emotional time suck. I could literally make two dozen picture boards.



Lily's softball season wrapped up after a double header last Friday during which I literally froze on the sidelines. The varsity coach said he has his eye on her for next year. They are going to need a first base woman. That's her position except now she is sort of rocking it at short. She's already practicing with her summer team and that season starts very soon.


Both the kids have worked hard to earn all As. I think I take for granted how easy they make parenting high schoolers.

Book club this week. I did something I have never ever done. I didn't finish the book. Sold on a Monday just wasn't grabbing me. I got a third of the way through and then I just gave up. It really didn't matter though because I think the ladies talked about the book for at most 10 minutes. That's partially due to the fact that there wasn't much to discuss and also to the fact that this is just not that kind of club. My aunt hosted at a painting studio so most of the evening was spent as artists not readers and it was fine by me. It was fun and delicious. She put together quite a spread for us to enjoy. That being said, I am starting to question whether or not we can keep calling our group a book club and also whether I can continue as a member if we keep reading historical fiction.


Dani Shapiro is coming to town to read from Inheritance in a couple weeks. She's my favorite memoirist.

Only about two more weeks of making school lunches. It's a labor of love, but at this time of the year it's definitely a chore. I appreciate when I actually get requests. And I do my best to oblige them.


 I feel like I've said this many times before, but I finally perfected my blueberry muffin recipe. The unexpected secret ingredient that adds creaminess and flavor...ricotta cheese. I had a pint of sad berries and a just about expired tub of ricotta and that is how this happens.


I also perfected my quiche. It's not hard, but the egg to liquid ratio is of utmost importance to get the right custardy consistency. Whether you use milk, half and half or cream changes things too. And making the crust is an absolute must. I never make quiche the same way twice, but I will do my best to always make my crust, use half and half and use an egg for every 1/2 cup of liquid. This is the magic combo.

I made Smitten Kitchen's Double Chocolate Banana Bread this week. It was gone in 12 hours. Every last crumb.

$5 tulips on Fridays.


Windmill Beach this weekend. There won't be swimming I'm quite sure, but there will be fun and family.

The rain's let up so I can get out for a walk, which is another need/want on my day off.

No comments: