Thursday, September 7, 2017

These Are The Days

I crashed hard last night and early after a full day and just a few pages. I tackled almost everything on my day's list and then some. I think I also accepted and started to embrace that summer is coming to an abrupt end and fall is fast approaching. This inevitable transition took hold right after I made a batch of salsa with the dwindling supply of fresh produce I bought at the farmer's market and before I made blueberry muffins for after school snack. I often figure things out in my kitchen.

I'm no longer dreaming of counts and verdicts after last week's stint on jury duty. Now I'm onto homework and tardies in my sleep. We attended back to school night at the high school last night. With the load Ted's carrying, I think it's wise he's on a sabbatical from Sendiks. His plate is full. Just reliving it in my sleep, made me want to spend the day in bed.

That is to say that I had a heck of a time getting up this morning. It was crisp and cloudy and so not summer anymore. Birdsong from bushes and the drone of lawnmowers traipsing over yards was replaced by the distinct sounds of school buses on roads. The whine they make when put into gear echoes the sigh that I feel myself emitting as I move through my now busy morning. I check things off my mental spreadsheet. It's the school year drill.

About this time each year I wonder if, perhaps, baptism by fire is not the best modus operandi. Would it be easier if we started serving dinner before 8 o'clock and weening off the late nights and leisurely mornings in the weeks leading up to this onset? I surmise the answer is affirmative, but I'll never know because every year we go out with a bang and then start the school year sleep deprived and stunned.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: