Friday, September 15, 2017

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Getting through our first full week of school. It was a long one, but a mostly good one. We're getting in the groove. I think we were all eagerly anticipating today, or more like tonight. Teddy went golfing after school and now he's at the football game. Lily had a beach field trip today. A beach field trip that didn't involve swimming so she came home and promptly showered. Now she's eating pizza and chilling out in her room exhausted, ravenous, but clean. Mike is relaxing because he was out with friends last night. I'm taking care of business: blogging, calendars and such. When I finish here, I 'll retire with a book and a cat or two.

And speaking of books, it looks like the book club I've been talking about starting is going to finally meet in October. I'm excited because I love to read and talk about books, but it's also a built in excuse to get together on a regular basis with good friends.

And speaking of good friends...Jess made sure to ask me far in advance to have dinner with her on my mom's birthday next week. It's a nice tradition we've started. I know my mom will be with us in spirit. She got off work early the other night so she came over for margaritas on the patio. Then we grilled some brats for dinner. After dinner, she played with Lily's hair trying to sell her on a hair do for school pictures the next day. She couldn't be sold, and decided to wear her locks long and free.



 Last week Candace dropped off the portrait she painted of Lily called Sand, Sea and Soul. She took a picture of Lily over the summer that inspired her to paint this piece. It's her first portrait and I think it's amazing. So did Lily. It's pretty special to our family as is Candace.




Apples galore. All week we've been munching on them to the point I think I'll make a stop this weekend for another stash. After you enjoy these sun-kissed sweeties, it's hard to eat the store bought.





Orchards and fields and farmer's markets. This week I picked up some beautiful eggplant and tomatoes at the market.


I was inspired to make eggplant Parmesan. It was my first time in a long time and I'd forgotten how easy and delicious it is. I even made my own sauce and I'd say the dish took me only 30 minutes to make. We ate it all week. Now it's gone before I even got a photo of the finished product, but I'll be making it again and soon.



This was my lunch today. My first tomato sandwich of the summer, and I can tell you it was worth the wait. Without locally grown, fresh tomatoes, this sandwich is not worth it. And also a must is a good nutty loaf of whole grain bread. A slice of cheddar takes it to the next level.


Having my Wednesdays to myself. As much as I miss the kids, I've missed having time to get things done. This week I woke to a cool, grey day so I was inspired to bake my Grandma's banana cake. By afternoon, the sun was out and it felt like August again so I whipped up a batch of homemade vanilla bean ice cream. I had such a full and wonderful day. I was busy, but doing things that come straight from the heart.



The cute little freezer safe ice cream container Teddy got me from Sur La Table. It's a must. I must get another.

These two sun worshipers.


We made it to Teddy's cross country race just in time yesterday. He didn't have his best race, but it was respectable. 


I hope I can start a little exercise next week. Staying off my feet has been the hardest part of this injury hands down.

Parent night at Lily's school. It was our last at the middle school. Lasts usually make me weepy, but not this final. I enjoy meeting the teachers, but I don't look forward to some of the parents because the make me feel like I'm back in middle school. Nevertheless, she's going to have a great year.

Scary movie season. There are a couple on my list to see. I L O V E thrillers.

I'm also excited for fall programming to return. Mostly for DWTS and This Is Us.

I bought the tickets for the before the museum opens World Trade Center tour. They're pricier than the others, but I think it'll be worth it to have a more reserved and solemn vibe for the experience.


No comments: