Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wicked Wet Weekend

It was my second time seeing Wicked. I contemplated passing up the production this time around, but I'm glad I didn't because I really enjoyed it again, and it moved me - at times to tears. The tears came because I love the message and the music, and because I wished my Mom was there sharing this girl's day out with Miss Bit and her other Grandmas. I wished that she was there to share it with me. I quite simply missed her more than ususal.

I got serious chills at the end of the first act during Defying Gravity. I thought that the way they pulled it off was poignant and powerful. During intermission, Miss Bit revealed to no one's surprise that her favorite character was Galinda. I surmised aloud that her affection for the Good Witch had everything to do with her beautiful dress, and my girl quickly corrected me, "She had FOUR beautiful dresses Mom!" Guess the costume designer is earning her paycheck.

She proclaimed that her favorite part was when they (Elphaba and Galinda) become friends during Popular. She made me lol the other day when she reenacted Galinda's flirting tips: "Toss (hair), toss (hair), hehehehehe (giggle)." So, of course, she's been doing it ever since. My girl loves an audience...makes me think it's no coincidence that I got the schedule for acting classes in the mail Monday morning. Before the show, we curled her hair, did her make-up (lip gloss and powder), painted her nails and put on her fancy Elphaba green dress, shoes and jewelry. She spent the next hour while I got ready going from mirror to mirror admiring herself adoringly.

In all seriousness though, I was most impressed by her interprtation of the message of the show. Her own words when asked were, "To be a good friend to everyone even if they're green." I chimed in saying, "I agree...it doesn't matter what you look like." She added, "What matters is what's in your heart." She may be only newly 6, but sometimes she is so wise beyond her years.



In fact, she turned 6 on Saturday, and we spent the day celebrating at one of her most favorite places...the beach with some of her favorite people. There were chicken fights to wage, rafts to swim to, sand castles to build, handstand contests to win, slides to go down, tubes to take a rest on...just good, old fashioned fun to be had. I don't think T. Bone or Miss Bit got out of the water all day except to grab a quick snack every once in awhile, and there were plenty of those thanks to my Aunt and Uncle who bring everything but the kitchen sink to the beach. In fact, we were all a little water logged, but we dried off, packed up and headed over to my Aunt and Uncle's to continue the celebration with a steak dinner she just whipped up, birthday presents and adorable cupcakes if I don't say so myself. My girl had a great time! She ate half a rib eye, devoured a cupcke and loved every present she opened. She is so happy to be the proud owner of a pink DS and she will without a doubt be the best dressed kid in school!












She's the best gift of all though! Happy birthday Cutie!

No comments: