Monday, April 6, 2009

Meditative Monday

Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Yesterday, Palm Sunday, I sat in church and even before Father B. implored us to make this holy week, the holiest week of our Catholic faith, different than every other, it already was. I listened to the Passion and I wept at His sacrifice for me. I felt so humbled, so thankful, so unworthy. This week I am working on showing a loving concern for others in His likeness.

That is much easier said than done…mind you. It is easy to know what is the Christlike action to take (mind), but it is more of a challenge to let the manifestation stem from within my heart (body) to bring the inner peace and unity with others that I seek (soul).

At the center of my personal struggle is forgiveness. I am not particularly adept at making, or more like accepting...amends. I am able to let go of the anger I feel at being slighted and mistreated after time passes, but what I do is forget. I do not forgive. I put my walls up and I walk away rarely looking back. It works for me, yet I know this is not what Jesus did when wronged by acts far more appalling.

I keep reminding myself that I am a work in progress. I am clay. I know I will never be perfect, but I will never give up trying to be a better person because of the incredible gift He has given me.

No comments: