Wednesday, December 1, 2021

thanksgiving weekending

 


How is it already December first? The older I get, the faster it goes. As a kid, the holidays seemed to last forever. Now, I'm afraid if I blink, I'll be staring down 2022.

I've already been reflecting on 2021. It has been a strange, unsettling year. My feelings about it are complicated. This year good will, peace and joy are more important than ever, but also a bit challenging to come by. Dizzying jubilance doesn't feel right, the world doesn't feel particularly safe at present and kindness is in short supply. I'm struggling with how to be merry and bright given the rather tenuous place we find ourselves amidst the current contentious climate brought on by this pandemic, political theater and delusions of false prosperity.

And yet, I spent the long Thanksgiving weekend relishing in gratitude for many blessings and my friends and family. It's just that underneath the surface, everything feels fragile. Proceed with caution is coursing through my veins.

My holiday started Tuesday night. Candace stopped by for an overdue visit. To say I'm thankful for her friendship, doesn't measure a miniscule amount of what she means to me. Everyone should be lucky to have a friend like Candace. Jess arrived for dinner and we tried to convince Candace to stay. She couldn't be swayed. It was a lovely, lively visit with Jess. I set the table for four. Teddy, fresh from Madison, and Mike joined us for tenderloin and smashed taters. Jess is my family. She's the little sister I never had and a true and constant friend. We've been through so much life together...the good and the bad. Everyone should be lucky to have a Jess in life.

My mom taught me to honor my friendships and that quality out-ranked quantity. I should note that McGurk was everyone's friend, but she always said that you could count yourself lucky if you could count your people on one hand. I am grateful to her for my small, but mighty tribe.

Wednesday morning I woke and got busy in the kitchen making dough for Thanksgiving desserts. We took a break midday to get out for a family hike. We explored a new place that Teddy turned us on to. My three coaxed me to get out of my comfort zone and take on some heights that made me hyperventilate. I was just a little proud of myself for doing something scary, which happened to be one of the topics of conversation at dinner the night before.

My brother stopped by not long after we made it home. Eventually my sil and a friend joined the impromptu party and before I knew it, I was making my mom's Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice for seven. It's my Grandma Rose I'm grateful to for teaching me that a good hostess always feeds her company something homemade and delicious like she knew they were coming. My brother and sil left for a party, the kids left to be with friends and Mike and Chris went to watch the game. I settled in with my kittens feeling grateful for all of it...them.

I was first up again Thanksgiving morning and once again back to baking. The Macy's parade was my company until I picked up my friend, Pee, who was in town for the holiday. It was the only time we could connect and so we made it work. We planned to take a walk, but the rain ditched that intention. Instead we drank coffee around the kitchen island and we made stuffing for her Thanksgiving gathering later that day. Pee was my very first friend at Gamma Phi. We recognized on our walk from the Memorial Union to 270 Langdon that we were going to need a safe spot. That's what we've always been for one another despite distance and differences. I think she summed it up perfectly in her post-visit text saying that it's not easy to find a true friend who you can be comfortably yourself around. Amen. Yep, you need a Pee in your life too.

We had a lovely Thanksgiving celebration at my parents. Both my dad's turkeys were delicious as were all of the sides. I look forward to this meal all year. Truthfully, all I need is some meat, mashed taters, stuffing and gravy, but I take a dollop of it all and taste the love. They work so hard on this feast and they do it so beautifully. Someday I'll roast a  turkey, but I'm happy to leave it to the pros for now and yes, grateful for their love and graciousness. 

The rest of the weekend was quiet. I mostly stayed at home in my comfies. It was perfect. We got a tree. It's a skinny little fir although not quite Charlie Brown. The cats have left it alone even as they keep taking the lights off the dining room tree. I started putting up other decorations, but I'm being choosy this year. I don't skimp on the lights and there's a candle in every window. Twinkle lights make me happy. Candles aglow too.

Sunday I had a theatre date with my aunt to see Jesus Christ Superstar. It's not my favorite show, but I Don't Know How to Love Him gives me chills every time. The orchestra over played the cast at times, but it was the perfect end to the weekend. We stopped out after the show to the St. Kate and caught up over pinots and pizza. I'm beyond blessed to have a Loie in my life. She's another one of my fingers.


No comments: