Sunday, November 21, 2021

weekending

We spent last weekend celebrating Mike. He is not one for pomp and circumstance. He never calls attention or pouts when he isn't the center of it. He's self-effacing, easygoing and pleasing. He's exactly the kind of guy that should always be revered. He had a couple days of quaint gatherings. It was just his speed. Drinks with a buddy Thursday night, lunch with his parents Friday, happy hour with my brother later that day. I made chicken Marsala for his birthday dinner. It's a favorite of his and a dish he usually chefs, but I took over for the occasion. We thought about going out, but it was a chilly night and the house was so cozy warm. It was a good choice and then we went out for brunch on Sunday instead.

I haven't left the house yet this weekend. It's Sunday morning. Mike is up north with the guys so it's me, Lils and the tres amigos. Yesterday I tackled closets, the pantry and the fridge. The cats were my helpers. Sister set off a mouse trap and I'm pretty sure she'll never venture into the crawl space again. Gus got locked in the chilly garage for an undermined length of time. Who knew he can muster a mighty meow when necessary. Of course, he is still trying to Houdini. Finn somehow wedged himself in my sock drawer. It took both myself and Lils to free him. Finally, they all crashed. Hazel under the dining room tree, which I will not decorate with my mom's ornaments this year...or possibly any ornaments. Finn curled up on Lil's bed and Gus passed out in my lap. I was grateful for the excuse to take a break. I was actually sore last night. Ten hours of deep cleaning can be a workout.

Lily picked up our dinner last night and then decided to stay in with me. We watched a mediocre thriller, a little bit of SNL that was actually funny and then went to bed early. She's still sleeping. The kittens had other plans for me. That's okay because I have more on today's list. Most important is a long walk with my girl and maybe a little more holiday decorating. My theory is to ease into it with my curious kittens. It will be less is more on many fronts this year and that just feels right. I'm still feeling fall here and I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. I don't want to rush to it and through it. I want to be in the moment.

 







No comments: