Friday, November 5, 2021

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The beautiful fall weather we've been enjoying.The temps are above normal, the trees are still vibrant and the days are still longish even if for just another day.


 Halloween. I miss the days of it being a family affair. My mom always splurged on ridiculously priced, but adorable costumes and would walk with us. It's funny, but Halloween is one of the times I miss her most every year. Ted was a chicken and Lil's was the Easter bunny. He went out on the town in Madison. She went to a party. I didn't even see a picture of either of them. I wish I had a shot of Ted in a onesie chicken suit with a big tail. It could come in handy one day.

Cats in costume. The Good Witch, the Busy Bee and the Hungry Lion.


Ted came home Saturday for a golf event Sunday. My brother joined the two of us for dinner. at an old favorite. Ted wanted Lisa's pizza with extra cheese ala Nanny. It was quality time with two of my best guys. Pizza was top notch too.

Sunday Mike came home from the cabin and the four of us carved pumpkins. The boys weren't keen on the activity, but then I think they got into it. Gus had lots of fun.


 

Pumpkin seeds. Four pumpkins worth.


 I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce and a big batch of meatballs for Sunday dinner. I also made a batch of my mom's pumpkin bread. Enough to share with friends.
 


Sending Ted back to school with lots of leftovers.

He accepted an offer to intern in tax at Andersen this summer in Chicago. He'll also be with them spring 2023 for a semester long internship. He gets to pick the city. He's thinking Boston.

Lils finished her college aps for early decision. She is feeling relief. I am too.

We attended our last golf banquet this week. As the captain and lone senior, Lily was the star of the night. Her coach read a portion of the recommendation letter he wrote on her behalf. I was teary. He recognized her for the humble, hard working and kind young woman she is. During her speech, she was teary when she was honoring the coaches. She pulled it together to present the awards to varsity and said such thoughtful things to each teammate. I was beyond proud. I didn't video or even take a picture and that's ok because I was present in the moment instead of trying to capture it.

Lots of reading this week. I finished Not a Happy Family and recommend it if you are looking for an engaging thriller. Now I'm into Group, a memoir about therapy. I picked up two more books from the library this week and I feel certain I'll finish strong with my 2021 reads.

Jess came for dinner this week. I was excited to try a new Brussels sprout recipe out on her. They don't look like much, but the deeply roasted sprouts topped with garlic chips and a soy butter sauce then finished with a drizzle of honey were quite tasty. I'm finding inspiration in Cook This Book.

A new flannel duvet cover that is beyond cozy and makes it near impossible to get out of bed on chilly mornings.

And always...life with pets. Never a dull or lonely moment at Casa Wags.











A full house and full laps. Full hearts too.


No comments: