Tuesday, December 14, 2021

weekending

We sat in church Saturday evening and I asked Mike why there were three candles lit on the Advent wreath. Apparently, I have missed a week. I felt twitchy until the processional started. The Christmas season goes fast enough so I don't like misplacing seven days. Now I don't understand those who start pitching Christmas November first, but I just might have to start a little earlier next year. What I love best is not the going and doing, it's the basking. More time for hygge at home is the goal. Now that the kids are young adults, our traditions have changed. I may have tried to resist it at first, but now I find myself  leaning in and wanting to be open to new customs. If I'm really honest with myself, I don't miss Santa or Fred, our elf. Those days of magic and wonder were priceless, but also tons of work. The awe we now feel is in our connection to Him and one another.  

After mass, we headed to The Public Market for dinner. It was hopping and happening, but we got seats at the Mexican counter and then met back with our particular cravings. I went Mediterranean with Chicken Shawarma and a hummus sampler I knew Lil's would enjoy. She chose a wrap and Mike was predictable with a burrito. His salsa was so hot that we lost our appetites. We drove through Miller Valley to see the lights before heading home and were settled in watching a movie before we usually have dinner. 

I had a second of FOMO, but it passed. I don't have any strong desires to host or attend a string of holiday parties. That doesn't mean that, at times, I don't feel I should. But at the end of the day, I am content to cultivate more intimate gatherings that give me just the right amount of festive spirit.

Sunday was baking day. I made batch after batch with Lily's enthusiastic help. I love baking with her. We made some annuals and a couple new recipes too. We each have our particular favorites and then why stop there. More is more where Christmas cookies are concerned. I have a few batches to bake off and then I'll package most of them up and spread the love and the calories. 

This week I have to finish up decorating. I can't find Baby Jesus for the manger and that is really bothering me. I also have to finish my shopping, but I'm close. I kept to my intention to pare down the stuff this year except for the Kit Kats. I have lost control with their first Christmas even while fully knowing that the paper, boxes and bows will be the most exciting part of it for my three. 

 


 




No comments: