Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Mom to Five

This was quite a Mother's Day weekend...a whirlwind...a what have we done? But there's no turning back now. We came home with three 7 week old kitties Friday night, and there's no way we can keep only two so three it will be. I've never had a kitty so young and I've never had three. And Gus is the runt still not weighing in at a pound. It's a little crazy, but in the best way. I've long argued that pets make a house a home, but in the six months we've been pet-less, I started to forget the amount of heart they bring to the family. It's worth the hair, the inconvenience, the less than house beautiful look of cat towers and toys around the house. I've placed three orders on Chewy in three days for more stuff. Not too mention that visitors came bearing gifts. Bring it on. When I went to bed Saturday night bone tired after crawling all over the floor day and night, I told my husband that I felt like it was the day we had Teddy because we saw just about everyone we knew in 12 delirious, glorious hours. It was sweet, and everyone is smitten. I can tell you, if we didn't keep Gus, he'd have his pick of other homes. But the three amigos; Just Gus, Finnegan McGoo and Sister Hazel are staying here at Casa Wags.

When the boys brought them home Friday night, Gus was the first one out of the carrier. He strutted out and started looking around without a single fear. He's small, but he has no idea how small. He's our mighty mini and that makes us love him all the more. His other nicknames thus far are Lil G, G Money, G Man, Baby, Babes and Goofy. He loves to play, eat and snuggle. His favorite snuggle spot is the crook of the neck and he often gives eskimo kisses. He loves mice and balls, wagging tails and wiggling toes. He attacks the broom too. He tries to hang with his brother and sister. When he's had enough, he mews and finds the nearest human for rescue. He sits at your feet and looks up with his baby blues begging to be scooped. We oblige. He can also be the instigator though. Watching him chase the pounders is pure comedy.

Finn aka Big Brother, Finster or Sleet is a firecracker with a big, sweet heart. He is the strongest of the three and can be a bit of a brute, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean to be. He's just all energy until he isn't and then he'll crawl up in your lap and snooze. He's black and white with very cool markings. He has one black leg and three white. There's a black heart stamped on his pink nose, he's got long white whiskers and big blue eyes. He loves to perch on the back of the couch and look out the window, and also to hide behind pillows for the surprise pounce. He's already made it atop the kitchen counter, and he's uber curious about what lies behind the kitchen and family room doors.


Sister Hazel is black with small amber eyes and a white star on her chest. Her legs and her under belly are tone on tone tiger striped. She has a high pitched diva cry and she purrs like a fast, unmufflered motor. She is the shyest and the smartest of the three, but she's warming up to us every day. She just curled up on the couch with me for an afternoon nap and I am so happy she is wanting to be near. The boys were on the other couch with Teddy: Gus curled up like an ascot around Teddy's neck and Finn sprawled out in his lap. Sometimes I call her Sister, Sis, Girlfriend, or Honey, but mostly she's Hazel.


They've been with us for less than three days, and yet we are noticing changes in aptitude and demeanor already. They are trusting us, loving us, seeking us out. They're going to be social that's for sure, and definitely loveable additions to the family. The tv wasn't on much over the weekend. The three amigos were more than enough entertainment. The best is to get on the floor so they can use you as a bunker, a climbing post and then a cuddle spot.

By Mother's Day night after a long weekend of bonding, all three kit kats were curled up on me sleeping. It was a sweet end to a special evening spent with my little growing tribe. I didn't lift a finger during dinner prep. Mike made fall off the bone ribs and they were the very best he's ever made and not just because I was famished. I opened a bottle of Cattoo for the occasion and felt gratitude for motherhood. After a game of Golf, I was spoiled with gifts and touched deeply by the messages written in my cards. I tell you, I am blessed to get their love.

We tucked the kitties in for the night in the kitchen and I exhaled. I enjoyed the last of my wine alone...the only one awake in the house. It was bliss. It was my time with my mom after the beautiful commotion of the weekend. Eleven years later, her absence is still a presence. Palpable. Pervasive. I will spend the rest of my life missing her and mothering in her honor because that is her legacy. She is largely responsible for the mother I am today. I'm lucky to have a tribe of sturdy, seeing women in my life. I learn from them too and I honor them with my whole heart as well.


 



No comments: