Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Confirmation Weekending

Sunday was a beautiful day. It felt like early summer, the sun was shining and Lily was filled with light as she was confirmed in the presence of loved ones who filled an entire pew. As we gathered outside the church before mass, we had a private meeting with Father Tim. The impromptu hugs and handshakes were a little pre-sacrament bonus for our family. It was my first time in St Casimir Church, but I immediately felt the chi. It was airy, open and inviting. The altar was the most ornate feature. And it was quite something. There were only 14 candidates so Father Tim was able to spend a little time with each one, and he acknowledged he's known most of them for most of their lives. Lily was last. It's the curse of the W name. I got a little teary as she approached the altar, but I laughed when Father Tim bellowed, Lily you are anointed! He said it loud enough that his voice carried over the music for the first time during the presentation. We all noticed. We were the first excused from the church and as Lily descended the stairs, Father Tim greeted her with a Lily! Lily! Lily! and a hug. I mention this because I know how good it feels to be seen and known by this special man. I know she felt the love.

I know she felt the love all day long. She doesn't relish in being the center of attention, but she was gracious and grateful for the kind words and the gifts, and also to share the spotlight with the Kits Kats. She was also a little stressed that she was visiting instead of studying. AP exams are looming, but this is important too. Teddy made not one, but two trips to Qdoba to pick up the catering. They forgot the guacamole and that's a star of the meal. It is my favorite thing to do for a party now and I have to say that everyone enjoyed it again. Plus it's Lily's favorite and it was her day. I ordered a lemon cake, at the confirmant's request, and that was also a party favorite. All I had to do was put together a fruit platter and mix margaritas.

Everyone was on the way home before dark full and happy. It was a blessing to be able to gather in celebration again. It's been a long time since we were all together. Too long. 

And, of course, we missed the missing. I wore my k necklace so my mom would be near. Neither of Lily's Godparents were present, but we focus on who is over who is not. Mark wanted to be there, but couldn't and Lily's Godmother has been absent since before Lily can remember. I don't think she even knows her name to be honest. Naming her is but one of the things I regret in my life, and yet Lily is surrounded by love. My regret is in that there were other deserving loved ones on which to bestow such an honor. She chose my aunt as her sponsor. That was a very good choice.

Evidence of a lovely day...













No comments: