Saturday, January 7, 2023

Happy New Year

 

 

2023 arrived not so much with a bang, but rather a hug. We spent the night in with old friends and for me that is the best way. I made a hearty spread of appetizers (the mezze platter being the hit) to counter the champs cocktails and such. We were all awake and still together to ring in the new year and then we even played a game after midnight. The party may have gone well into the next day, but NYE is not meant to end early unless by early we mean the next day.

We slept in New Years Day because  our only plan was to get to Chicago for a 7:15 dinner reserve. We unloaded the car (can I tell you how much I love doormen) with enough time to have a cocktail and enjoy the view before heading to Lincoln Park for tapas. As quiet as the city was, the restaurant was bustling, bursting. Also cozy and warm and quite delicious. Our favorite dish being the potatas bravas we ordered two and then promptly hit the couch post dinner for a movie.




 It was a good plan because we woke refreshed the next day and eager to get out and about. First thing Lils went for a workout on the 44th floor and Mike and I walked through the city and out onto Navy Pier where the skyline view is nothing short of sublime. I'm really learning to love this city. 

Our Monday mission was to shop. Well, my mission was to marvel at the beautiful holiday lights and decor up and down Michigan Avenue, which no photograph can capture. Mike indulged us both patiently. It was a busy day in the city and  the shops were pretty picked over much to Lil's dismay. She also had a bit of sticker shock at the big city prices and IL State tax. We each ended up with only a small bag, but we had fun and that's what counts. We stopped at Eataly for our first and only meal of the day at 4 o'clock. The pizza neopolitana is what you want when this is the case. My single glass of Chianti was almost as much as the pizza, but boy did I enjoy it. We were home after 27 hours feeling tired, but also energized. 

In the hour and a half it took us to get home, I took a personal inventory. It's good to reflect and then set my intentions for the new year. They are always the same or similar, but I admit I am a work in progress...perpetual progress. The holiday season was different this year, but ultimately one of my favorites. When my spirit was waning, I slowed down and leaned in...I listened. As much as I preach be.here.now, it's so often easier said than done. Somehow it came naturally this holiday season. Call it a Christmas miracle.

I want to carry this mindful immersion with me into the new year. My word for 2023 revealed itself to me slowly and then all at once. That word is presence.


No comments: