Sunday, November 3, 2019

I Love Sundays

This was one of my favorite days. Smack dab in the middle of fall. Cozy, homey, easy. I was the first one up at the crack of dawn this morning fortified with an extra hour of precious sleep. I woke up because I slept enough and I felt refreshed in a way that I haven't in some time. First thing, I indulged in my coffee and my book in peaceful silence and solitude. Well, save for Tigger who is my new book buddy. There's really no better way to start the day. A walk is a close second. Before Mike and I set out on the parkway, I put the spinach quiche I made in the oven and it was ready when we got home. I tried a new dough. All butter no shortening. It was nice. Mike's brisket has been slow cooking all day. The house smells delicious. I almost can't wait for dinner and all I have to do is mash some potatoes and steam some carrots. I roasted the pumpkin seeds I harvested from our family of pumpkins and then I put them back on the porch uncarved. I thought Lily and her friends would have their way with them last night, but they ended up at a neighbor boy's instead. I also made an enormous pot of soup for next week. In it are the last remnants of farmer's market produce from the crisper. It was my goal to use everything up. My Grandma Rosie would be proud. Heck I'm proud. I think it'll taste extra comforting because I sang my heart out to Hamilton while I chopped and stirred. Food is love. Food is memories. So is good theater and Hamilton was so good that I am sort of obsessed by it now. I was able to steal in a chapter here and there between chores and yard work today. This book has my attention and I am a much happier person when I have a book I cannot put down. Even though I have little idea what I'm doing, I get great satisfaction out of caring for my garden. It's so forgiving. Generous. I get so much more from it than I give to it. Next up is a hot shower something I feel extra grateful for ever since we thought our water heater was going last week. It was just the pilot light. I have a new bar of lavender soap. It's the little things I tell you. Little things like taking care of my house and my family. Self-care too. Being present and grateful and feeling deep down inside what a gift this day...this life is.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Brunch.

Pretty Boy.


Tight fit.


Sunday siesta.

Three pumpkins worth.

Camo Cat.

All that remains.

No comments: