Saturday, November 9, 2019

Grateful

It's Saturday morning, not Friday, but any day is a good one to embrace gratitude. I woke up early this morning with that beholden feeling in my heart. There are a list of reasons some of which I'll share here...mostly small everyday pieces. There are other reasons that even I fail to understand. I no longer question gratuitous periods of lightness and levity. I accept them and I say thank you.

Today I give thanks for...

The first taste of total freedom relationship we have with Teddy. I text with him almost daily and we FaceTime a few times a week. And it isn't always mama bear initiating. He's out in the world doing his own thing, but he's knows where he came from and that he always has our love and support.

The other night he FaceTimed past my bedtime, but I waited up for T Bone to finish his workout and shower. He was in the relative dark shirtless munching on stalks of celery. Earlier in the day he and Yash finally made a move toward ambiance as they hung some funky LED lights around the perimeter of their closet-sized room. They were proud.

I was proud of the news Ted delivered. His team of four won second place in a business school competition out of 150 students. He won a meet and greet with the Proctor and Gamble execs and an assortment of laundry supplies none of which he needed as he's yet to do laundry. The thing I was most proud of was not the win, but that he took the initiative to seek out and sign up for this competition. He's doing another in December.

Initiative. Ted's volunteering at a Madison area food pantry where he is rather awed by a chef who turns donations into "gourmet" meals, and he's a Big Brother for a local tween. Oh and he got a job. He's working as a line cook at the Nitty Gritty and he'll be crossed trained as a server. He's finding his place...his people.

Lily too. She's been out and about with different friends. She's not being exclusive, and yet she's still inclusive. I feel like she's in a very good place with good people.

And I'm ever grateful for my tribe. Candace stopped by last night. I was upstairs in bed with books. Lily saw her as she tried to leave my pie dish and then skedaddle without disturbing us. Lily insisted she come in. I'm glad she did. I want my friends to know that my door is always open. 

The night before, Jess came for wine and cheese and then stayed for soup. It was an end of day decision. Jess just tells me when she wants to come over and I'm more than good with that. If it's not once a week, then I start really missing her.

Speaking of soup...I brought my chicken tortilla soup and fixings in for lunch yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of Alan's week. Listening to him enjoy it was inspiration for the cook in me. Linda battled runny nose and watering eyes to almost finish her bowl, and then Alan helped her out. It was a little hot for her. She's my sweet tooth.

We had a movie date last night. Mike picked Doctor Sleep. Wow it was long and a little goofy. Lily, Gracia and I lamented that we didn't insist on seeing Last Christmas, and yet I love going to the theater on a chilly night.

Tonight we will celebrate my mother in law. Twelve of us will gather at Harvey Moy's to wish her a Happy Birthday. I am looking forward to a lovely, delicious evening with family.

Mike's birthday is Tuesday. I have a special dinner planned and a birthday treat as well. Ted comes home next weekend and we'll have a family celebration. 

Tis the season of celebrating, togetherness and giving thanks. Thanksgiving is my favorite because it's just so wholesome...unassuming...followed closely by every other holiday btw.  I'm big on celebrations. The more the merrier.

No comments: