Friday, February 23, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The thoughtfulness of friends. Well, one friend in particular. She stopped by this past snowy Saturday afternoon with a bouquet of spring flowers. I think it was to thank me for stopping by earlier in the week with soup and bread. We sort of lose track, which is what makes it a beautiful thing.


This French chocolate cake I made at Smitten Kitchen's urging. I followed the recipe to a tee and would do so again. I loved the intensely chocolate notes and the crumby texture. I worried the chocolate whipped cream would be too much even for hardcore chocolate connoisseurs, but it was light and when used sparingly a perfect pairing with the freshness of the raspberries I couldn't resist adding.


A date with my guy last night. It was a belated Valentine's celebration. We went to a little Italian joint we've been visiting since way before kids. We both ordered the exact same entrees we enjoyed the last time we were there and we were both glad we did. The scallops were cooked perfectly. Look at that sear. We started with a very naughty and delicious wild mushroom gnocchi with Gorgonzola and we ended with limoncello.



A coffee date with a friend this morning. We're rendezvousing so I can get our tickets to see her daughter perform as Wednesday in The Adam's Family this weekend. Can't wait!

Kids who follow their dreams with passion.

The view from my lap every morning.


These two. My guy and my girl.


Sunday morning walks through the city and along the lake. I never take for granted the accessibility or the beauty of where I live.


Windmill Beach even in winter. Especially in winter. I'm a sucker for the seasonal solitude, for curling up with a book and looking up in between pages to take in the scenery, and for warming up by the fire while we work on a crazy challenging puzzle.


The kids aren't the biggest fans of the beach at this time of year. They both had to cancel plans with friends, but they only grumbled a little and I'm pretty sure they had a lot of fun. It's harder and harder to have family time because teens are busy and opinionated, but once in awhile we insist and it's worth it.


Knowing that while we are away, these two have each other.


I think Tigger wants to come with us next time.


This girl wrote a very compelling piece to support why she should be one of two students in her class selected to lay a wreath on The Tomb of the Unknowns in a couple weeks. She's getting excited for her class trip to Washington DC. Teddy had an absolute blast when he went 4 years ago, and I know she will too.



I finished The Wife Between Us this week. It was a quick, somewhat compelling thriller heavy on the somewhat. There was potential for it to be much more arresting. The cake is finally gone too as are my Lenten promises.



Time. I've been intensifying my job search efforts, but I need to take breaks. I often find myself in the kitchen because I'm able to lose myself in a recipe. Working in the kitchen calms me...grounds me. Making meatballs is therapeutic. Serving a healthy, homemade dinner to my family is gratifying.





No comments: