Friday, February 16, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Finally getting good news. It's not cancer. My friend found out that the tumor he had removed is benign. He's had some very serious and strange run ins with that bastard C so this was such a blessing and a relief.

I prayed for him while I cooked for him. It's the way I best know how to minister and show my love and care.

 Split pea soup: you either love it or hate it. He loves it.

What is soup without fresh bread?

 Dessert. What's not to love about a giant cast iron skillet cookie? I doubled Martha's recipe for a 10 inch cookie because I have a 12 inch pan. It was a little too thick for T. Bone's liking. Of course, he had to sample it. There was no way he was letting me give away the whole cookie.

I know what I want for Mother's Day: a 10 inch skillet.

Blankie boy. 

He's the sweetest, most willing cuddler.

View of my lap.

An invitation to attend a book club with my mom's old neighbors. She was a founding member almost 15 years ago, and last attended 10 years ago. It was good to reconnect with so many women who knew and loved her. There was much reminiscing, but I only got teary eyed a couple times. I reflected on the fact that I don't think that would have been the case even a year ago.

The tale of North Korean defection was meh, but the wine I just had to buy because of the label...well, it was delicious.

We went to Spain for dinner this week. My family is loving this sheet pan dinner that's new to our rotation. It's a one pan meal of chicken thighs, chorizo, cauliflower, red onion, Yukon golds, big green olives and thyme. Then when it's done, I top it with quick pickled red peppers and parsley and it makes everyone happy.

Next time I'm going to serve it with a basket of fresh pan and maybe some aioli. I think i'll cook and serve the chorizo on the side as it makes this dish greasier than I like.

This week I noticed that it's light out when I wake. The days are definitely stretching.

View east from the front porch.

Holiday traditions. I scrolled through my Instagram feed on Valentine's Day morning and felt a little wistful at all the mothers with young children serving up pink and heart-shaped breakfasts. I remember those days. But then Lily came down with a handmade valentine and a hug eager to open her gift. She went gaga for her glut of glue and appreciated the card I painted for her. She's still my sweet little lady. Teddy came bounding down late, inhaled a breakfast burrito I made especially for him and declared that presents would have to wait until the evening. Before he left though, he gave me a rare morning hug and I realized, I'm not missing anything. There's really no place I'd rather be.

 I draw the line on the cats...they don't get valentines just extra snuggles and snacks.

She thought my succulents were store bought. I love making cards for my family.

I didn't think I'd ever spend $30 on glue, but I tell you it made her so happy that I'd do it again.

French Silk pie...it wouldn't be Valentine's Day without it. 

It's our love language.

It doesn't count if you don't dirty a plate...right?

 Shameless cat captures.



No comments: