Monday, May 22, 2023

Where to Begin

I woke up this morning feeling summer. It's not just the warming temps...it's my state of mind. It's been go go go for months now. This is the first time in a long time that I feel like I can just be. Casa Wags is bursting at the seams...full of kids and their stuff. Friends are coming and going. Dinner is after dark because the kids are taking advantage of sunset golf. This is my happy place.

The past week was about celebrating our recent grad. The ceremony was a week ago Saturday and we had a festive string of gatherings. Ted is a master procrastinator, which made planning a party at the 11th hour a bit of a challenge, but it really could not have been any better. There is a lesson for me in that I know. Don't let perfect ruin perfectly good.

We had a quaint and fabulous Friday night dinner at Kettle Black Kitchen. Securing reserves was a Hail Mary thanks to Aunt Ashley. Every restaurant and hotel in the area were 110 percent booked. It was not a second choice either. It's a standout spot in both cuisine and ambience. It was the perfect kick off gathering.




We woke Saturday to find that the weather was just right for graduation at Camp Randall. No rain and moderate temps were perfect for a day spent mostly outside. It felt like a gift.








The stadium was packed with over 7000 graduates and their peeps. Ted had a well represented cheer squad. The best parts of the ceremony were when Bucky came on stage and lead the crowd in Jump Around and at the end when we sang Varsity. The rest of the ceremony was very political and impersonal. My husband, brother and I struggled to remember the details of our own UW graduations so it appears not much has changed. I think what remains is the good stuff...the important stuff like the beginning of an exciting new chapter and the people who showed up to honor it all.


Showed up, supported, and celebrated Ted.

 



We headed back to Brooks Street for champagne toasts and good food. A local restaurant catered our spread and I much preferred the casual mingling to a stuffy restaurant. Eventually all the roommates trickled in and we had quite a Badger party. The kids headed out to the bars as day turned to night and the rest of us went out for pizza and STAT to bed.





All I wanted for Mother's Day was a nap with my kittens. Saturday's promised showers thankfully waited until Sunday. Ted surprised me with flowers and Lils put together a thoughtful basket of my favorite things. She got them all. My girl also made dinner. Yep, Caesar salad with a side of aglio olio. It was the perfect end to one perfect weekend.


Ted and Meryl came to town for the week and we were happy that the good times continued.



And now I am ready to retreat and revive.


No comments: