Wednesday, May 3, 2023

weekending

This morning I took my aunt, uncle and their two furbabies to the airport. It was a tearful goodbye...happysad...bittersweet. They are finally making their move west. The happy and the sweet are that this is a long time coming and also their choice. The sad and the bitter is that it isn't mine. I don't mean to be dramatic, but my aunt is one of my best peeps and I am going to miss her. I also know that we will stay in close contact.

It's so much easier to stay connected in this day and age. There are lots of things I dislike about technology. This is not one of them. Last weekend Mike and I marveled at the fact that I was having a full on text conversation with our friend in London while we were driving to Madison. Half a world away, yet without delay. 

Teddy is settled back in Madison which is a huge relief. It was a shit show moving him out of the John Hancock during Chicago rush hour, but that made the sayonara even sweeter. We have a big beef with UHaul. They gave away our guaranteed 15' truck because we were 45 minutes late. Never mind, that we tried to call and no one answered. It might have been the closest I've come to being arrested in my adult life. I was ready to wring Jimmy's neck. What angered me most was his nonchalance. He lied and then pretty much said he didn't care. Mike was able to book another truck, but it was clear across town during the busiest time and we had a shrinking 4 hour move-out window. Oh, and it was a 26 footer, which Mike was absolutely thrilled to be driving on the crowded streets of Chicago.

That being said, we arrived at the John Hancock at 6 (we were aiming for 4:00) and were back on the road by 9:00. The good thing is that the management office gave us the wrong time. Our slot was from 5 until 9:00. I packed and cleaned while the guys got to know the elevator operator, Dennis, very well as they made the 58 floor trip many times. It was a blessing that Ted's buddy came to help. I'm not sure it would have been possible without him.

We pulled into the driveway at 11:00 exhausted, but keyed up. It was a good thing I had carnitas going in the crock pot because the guys were famished. I was too tired to eat. We sat around the island getting to know Rishi and finding out what a good guy he is beyond lending us a helping hand.

We were back on the road Saturday morning by 11:00 after a quick sleep and a homemade breakfast. It was a pretty dreary day. I prayed for clear skies when the truck went akimbo on a slippery overpass just miles from home. Mother Nature complied about halfway to Madison. That fact and the houseful of guys in town for Mifflin Street Block Party made the move in fast and easy. I rewarded them by stocking the frig with a carnitas spread for post party.

We had a quick rendezvous with Lils. Just long enough to kiss her beautiful face and give her an exam care package. They all left to go back to the block party, which has become more of a whole city party since I was in school. Mike and I could not wait to ditch the truck and get home where we happily stayed the rest of the weekend.

Next weekend, we're staying put too.

Never need to see this again.

Goodbye Chicago.

Hello Madison!

My kids know good people.

No comments: