Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Just a Day

I just returned from a trip to the nursery. I thought it would be a good day because it's cool and windy. I was right...it was not overly crowded and still amply stocked. The baskets were all so lush and vibrant that I ended up with a trunkful. Every May I stop here to get the sweet violaceous Strepto Carpella plants that remind me of my mom. It's a ritual visit because they mean so much to me and they are hard to find. Today I was seduced by the rainbow of color and I went with it. It was a bit of a surprise that this family owned nursery managed to hold last year's prices. That makes me feel even better about supporting them. They have integrity and decency and boy do I appreciate that especially these days.


On the way home, I passed farm stand after farm stand. I am ready for fresh, local produce. I have a basket of ripening tomatoes that I've planned to use in a roasted tomato soup all week. Maybe tonight after I take a walk with the kids. They've been gone summering every night as they should be. Golf dates, beach bonfires, parties...the usual. I've been craving nothing but pbjs and tall glasses of milk as I'm convalescing.


It's a good week for a quiet week. I've been battling a bug. I'm returning to health, but still dog tired. I slept 10 hours last night and didn't even hear my alarm. Try as I might...I cannot make the transition to consistent beginning of day exercise. In full transparency, there's been no exercise this week save for a tennis game Saturday that left me feeling latent muscles before bed that night. A new sign of my age: feeling sore not the next day, but within hours. Yet, I'm looking forward to more matches this summer. This year's Windmill Beach Olympics will be held at Webb Lake and tennis is sure to be one of the events.

The kit kats have been missing Mike this week. He's traveling. He spoils them during the day when he's home. It's a good thing that the new bird feeder is full and it's open window/door weather. The critters in the yard make for good viewing.

I'm wrapping my head around the fact that this weekend is already Memorial Day. May has been a bit of a blur. I'm planning on savoring June, July and August...and then the rest of the year too.

No comments: