Monday, October 4, 2021

Weekending

It's Monday. And boy it sure feels like one. I slept for 11 hours last night and I woke up still feeling groggy. It's gray and cool. I don't mind this weather at all, but today it feels heavy. It's just the kind of day I want to be lazy under a pile of cats with a good book. Later.

The weekend was such a good one that I was greedy for one more day. Good in that there was the right mix-up to dos and want tos. I love crossing things off my list almost as much as I love the fun stuff that fills weekends. Getting things done makes happy hour happier.

I was up early Saturday. Like earlier than I get up on work days. I was at the grocery first thing and then I got busy in the kitchen. We were having friends for dinner and I had a few dishes to make. My culinary inspiration has been waning. There's nothing like company for dinner to rev things up. Lily and the kit kats noticed that I also was a mad woman cleaning, pfaffing and rearranging. Never mind that the furniture ended up back in the exact same spots.

We had a great night with Pete and Sue. We love Pete and Sue nights. They are always easy and authentic and fun. Plus the guys always do the dishes while Sue and I have another glass of wine. They came with a beautiful bouquet Sue arranged herself and a squash from their garden. Perfect. We caught up on the last couple weeks and made some plans for both the near and distant future. The meal tasted so good. Mike's ribs were beyond tasty. Unfortunately, I overcooked the skillet brownie, but it was still delicious especially under a scoop of salty sweet butter pecan custard. Now I have to redeem myself.

I was up early again Sunday happy to find a spotless kitchen (see above). When Mike and Lils got up, we headed to the farm for apple picking. I was pleasantly surprised they both agreed to come. My girl has been an apple addict so I knew we needed the 20 pound bag. So many of the trees were sparse already, but we managed to fill our bag to the very brim with several tart, but sweet varietals. We missed picking the Honeycrisps, but we still have Ida Reds and Golden Delicious later this month. We'll be back at least once. I'll need a few more pumpkins for seeds too.

Sunday afternoon we watched the Packer's win and then we put on our new show...Midnight Mass. I'm unhappy there are only 7 episodes. I was in bed by 10:30 and sound asleep by 10:31.

Scenes from the weekend...










No comments: