Friday, October 8, 2021

Grateful Friday

Mike and Lily left for Madison first thing this morning. Lily has the day off so they were able to schedule a last minute tour of the campus. She's spent plenty of time there, but this will be official. Early decision looms. She's getting tired of all the college talk. I'm not going to lie...it will be nice when she is set.

We had conferences yesterday. Virtual. I actually like that better than standing in lines in the high school cafeteria. It's no surprise that she is a teacher favorite. They all gush over what a joy she is to have in class. They all say she is diligent, engaged, thoughtful and kind. And I never tire of hearing it. Her senior seminar teacher is also her golf coach and we may have talked more about the season than the semester. He expressed that he was so proud of her growth and leadership. Apparently during regionals, her iron game was the talk of all the coaches. I shared that with her to lessen the sting of just not making it through to sectionals.

After today's tour, Mike and Lils will meet Ted for lunch. I'm sorry I have to miss it.  Lils plans to spend the night on Ted's comfy couch. I'm sorry I'm not a fly on the wall. They've both been talked to. Tomorrow she'll take the Badger Bus home. This is true training for the hopeful freshman. Next fall we'll be empty nesters. I take issue with this term. My nest will still be aptly full.

This has been a strange week. The trees are starting to turn, but it's been warm and humid. Every day I take the same route along the river to work and it's the closest I can come to time lapse. I see the change. I notice it. It's bittersweet because I would take a year of Octobers. 

Fall rekindled my love of reading. Or maybe that was Sue Miller's Monogamy. So far it's a character novel and I like the characters so it grabbed me outright. I don't think I've read her before, but I'm grateful this book came to me now. All of my library requests came in at once so I'll be able to keep going. I've long been awaiting Paper Palace. It appealed to me as a perfect summer read. I think I'll still enjoy it in fall. Sister is my reading buddy and really queen of our bed. She is almost always in bed when I am. I read not just for myself, but also for her. Everyone should have a Hazel. A Finn and a Gus too.

This weekend is open. So am I. Grateful for whatever it presents. 

 



No comments: