Saturday, July 18, 2020

Here We Go

I had the day off yesterday and a fun weekend planned. Best laid plans. We ended up in a long line waiting for Covid tests. Lily was in contact with someone who tested positive at a small, mask-less gathering. As of this morning, I know of a couple more cases. The good thing is that I don't know of anyone who is symptomatic. She had to call in to work and softball practice. She had shifts today and yesterday and a double header on Monday. She's right bummed.

Ted needed a test too. A co-worker in his small office tested positive. Ted hasn't been in contact with him in 2 weeks, but they are being ultra conservative. It's their right to CYA, but it's frustrating because there's no consistency.

It was overwhelming to digest. Where do we go for tests? Who needs tests? How long before we get results? Who do we need to notify? There is so much conflicting information, misinformation, hype. We made phone calls and got on the Internet. I called my doctor. They won't test unless you are presenting with at least 2 symptoms. The kids could get in at their pediatricians, but not until the very end of day and that felt like a waste of a day. This clinic wouldn't test under 18 and that one was full. 

We decided to go to a testing site at a local high school run by the National Guard. We pulled up to a line just before opening that snaked through the neighborhood at least 100 cars. We only waited for a little over an hour. The actual test took seconds and was yes, unpleasant, but not awful. They said we should have results in 3-7 days, but even as soon as 2. I was impressed by the staff, the whole experience.

The rest of the day was a wash. I felt low. No symptoms, lots of anxiety. Angst because I just don't see how we move forward. The minute we start opening up more, the cases surge. I, for one, don't think it's a particularly scary thing for these healthy kids, but I know they come in contact with people at greater risk for serious illness. Sometimes I think we have this all backwards. Shutting down was done to flatten the curve, not eradicate the virus. Every time there's an uptick, we cannot hit pause. I think it makes sense for those who are vulnerable to isolate. I know that's not the way everyone thinks. Believe me I know. On our high school parent's site, people are picking fights, judging, bullying. I am waiting for the cooler heads to prevail and also for the collective wisdom to lead the charge. I'm tired of hearing rumors that this person tested positive, and half truths that school is on or off. The majority of these kids are going to get it. There should not be a stigma. They're waiting until the last minute to make a decision about the plan for fall. We're all trying to do the best for the greater good with the information we have and based on our individual beliefs. 

No comments: