Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Full Disclosure

Lily tested positive for the virus. It was just a matter of time. We received word on Sunday night. The rest of us are negative. I'm still convinced that Ted and I had it in February before it was even a thing here. We are all quarantining as instructed. Lily is isolating. She feels good. Pretty sad. A little bored. I feel the same. Ted is in QT at Windmill Beach to ensure that he can go back to work and life next week. He's there solo and equal parts loving it and missing his activities and peeps. It's like he's on a retreat. He's running on the beach, cooling off in the lake and impressing us with his culinary acumen. I sent him to exile with a big bag and a cooler filled with groceries. Last night he learned how to use the grill. He made himself hamburgers and sent a pretty picture with the watercolor sky as his background. I am certain that he will be able to take good care of himself when he moves into his apartment.

That can happen in a few weeks. I have such mixed feelings about what we were all once so excited for. It seems somewhat silly to spend all this money for a stunted education and a scrubbed college experience. And yes, I realize that these are first world problems and that we are all facing sacrifices and challenges, but it doesn't change the fact that this sucks royally for all of us in a million different ways. 

It was a struggle to show empathy to my daughter when she lost it over not being able to get her driver's license by her birthday next month. She's looking at September now, but to her that seems like forever. I dug deep and remembered how excited I was to get my license. It helped. She's okay now. She rebounded and quickly adopted the it is what it is attitude. It's just one of the reasons I love this girl beyond words.

She's still sleeping. There's no reason to wake her. This feels like a lost 10 days in a lost year. I definitely need to get out of the house for a walk. Fresh air and sunshine almost always ensure an attitude adjustment. And yes, I am allowed to leave the house for a walk.

No comments: