Thursday, June 25, 2020

Weekending

Father's Day weekend was a winner. It started with my friend Sue and a bottle of wine on the patio Thursday night. We've been friends for decades, but I feel like we've grown even closer in the past few months, and I'm happy for that. We've been closing the office on Friday since we reopened. The 4 day 20 hour work week is a good one, but I'm hoping things pick up to where we are a little more frenetic. Still, I'll enjoy this extra time, these extra days while they last. The weekend was front-end loaded with errands and chores and then finished off with fun.

We celebrated Mike's Dad Saturday with a late afternoon pool party/bbq. It's the first time we've spent quality time with the family since Christmas. It was good to catch up with everyone and to share a meal. My brother in law's ribs were finger licking good...some of the best I've ever had. I made a giant bowl of my favorite pasta salad. Think tortellini, kalamatas, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozz, pesto, pine nuts and a balsamic reduction. I didn't have room, but I had to try my mother in law's eclairs. They reminded me of my childhood...of sweet trays at Temple Shalom.

Sunday morning I was up early so I could prepare Father's Day breakfast for my guy. I was inspired by an easy egg dish I saw on the Food Network the day before. Think eggs, a splash of cream and whatever toppings you fancy, but definitely cheese, sous vied in ramekins. With a slice of nutty whole grain toast, it was a company worthy, but it was just us. The boys left to golf with Grandpa and Uncle B Bone. It's a Dad's Day tradition: the E's versus the W's. The W's won by a single stroke. Lily drove the ladies to Grandma and Grandpa's for a post-round bbq. My dad grilled everything. It was a meatapalooza. I brought a pan of mac & cheese. Mike declared it the best ever. We sat on the deck and enjoyed the sights and sounds of life on the edge of the woods and being together, finally. Lily also drove us home. We take advantage of our designated and enthusiastic driver.

We rolled it after dark exhausted, but we perked up long enough to do our own Father's Day here at Casa Wags. Mike was pretty spoiled, but he so deserves it.

All I can say is that it was a much needed family filled weekend that felt very normal. And while I don't necessarily like that word, I'm at a loss for another. I feel like one of the good things to come out of this Corona craziness is a renewed appreciation for the extraordinary ordinary.

Evidence:







PS Ted was shooting at tin cans not squirrels.

No comments: