Friday, June 19, 2020

Grateful Friday

It's been a good week. I woke up this morning lamenting the fact I've been absent here this week, yet I know it's a sign that these days have been full and plenteous...laden. I find it hard to write about life when I'm busy living, doing, creating, engaging. There were many times I felt compelled to expound: a quote from a podcast that struck a nerve, the bluebird that waited for me at the trail's end, the breeze that lulled me to sleep when I wasn't even tired, the dreams that stretched my mind and heart, the goodness, kindness and grace I've seen, felt, shared. These are the things that keep me going with renewed hope and aplomb. Yes, aplomb because I have a sense of surety that looking into the purview there is cause to be positive. That's something to be grateful for a hundred times over.

The other things I'm grateful for today are...

A text from Sue late yesterday afternoon suggesting we get together for happy hour. It was Friday for both of us and an absolutely gorgeous night. We shared a bottle of wine on the patio and caught up on the week past. 

Tigger is BMOP: big man of the patio.


My aunt and uncle have basically furnished Ted's first apartment. We went shopping in their sold house last weekend. Payment was a little sweat equity. It was a very good deal for us. I thought we were going to have to live with a sectional in our foyer until August, but the boys got the smaller pieces downstairs and the couch into the family room. It's not House Beautiful right now, but that's okay. Tigger claimed the couch right away. He spent the whole week on it. The rest of us take turns. It's incredibly comfy.



  

 Ted's started his job as a research intern Wednesday. He was up early, bed made, looking smart in his new Vineyard Vines shirt, making spinach and eggs and sipping the first coffee of his life. Years are minutes I tell you. I offered to steam his shirt mostly because I wanted to do something for him...to feel needed. He put in a full day at the office (wtf?) and came home mentally exhausted and most excited about his dual monitors and the fact that he's on the org chart. Then he went to the club to workout, joined us for dinner, went up the road to a neighbor's for a swim and then out with the boys to play some poker. This is the life of Ted. It's good. And this job is an amazing experience for him to drill down and see if this is what he really wants to do...to be...when he grows up.


Right now he's downstairs on a research meeting conference call. Then he's off to the beach with the boys. Balance. It's a good thing.

Lily and her friends have a nightly ritual of  Lake Michigan moonlight swimming. More like they run in and then they run out. It's still in the 60s. I see them enjoying a more traditional summer and I think that's such a good thing.



Softball starts (and ends) in July and then golf starts in August.

We had friends for dinner last Saturday. They both came with beautiful bouquets. One a stunning vase of orange roses, which just happen to be my favorite and the other a sweet bouquet of yellow roses and peonies also a fave of mine. I picked a bouquet of peonies from my yard earlier and bought some sunflower stems. The house looked and smelled like a flower shop all week and I loved it. I was spoiled in the sweetest way.




That chocolate cake. The secret ingredients are dutch cocoa. brandy and mayo. I took it to Linda who is recovering from surgery. It's her favorite.

A new kimono. It's really fun for summer.

Lunch with Alan at the club this week. It was a nice middle of the day, middle of the week treat. The Caesar salad was perfect.

Energy balls. I found a recipe on Dinner a Love Story for a simple, power packed treat. It's nut butter, pumpkin seeds, oats, dried cherries, sliced almonds, mini chocolate chips, honey and wheat germ. Everyone loves them.

My farmers market is open. I missed it this week, but I'll be there next Wednesday.

A beautiful week of open windows all day and night.

Celebrating fathers this weekend. In this family, we are all blessed in that department.

Today is my in-laws 55th wedding anniversary!



No comments: