Sunday, February 2, 2020

Winter Inventory

Reading:


When posed with the question of the best book of 2019, I really couldn't answer definitively. Nothing I read seemed worthy of the shout out. That being said, I read plenty of books and several of them worth noting.

I can't even recall The Last House Guest and that obviously speaks volumes.

 

I sped read The Rosie Effect much to my dismay. The first book was charming. The sequel was painful. I didn't like Rosie or Don the second time around. These once quirky characters weren't funny, they were disturbing. I would never have picked it up and certainly would have put it down, if not for the fact that it was a book club selection.

I picked up Heavy after listening to Laymon's story on a podcast and it was indeed weighty. I wanted to connect with his story on a human level, but it was difficult because I was constantly reminded of my otherness: as a woman. As a white woman.

American Fire was interesting, but not suspenseful.  You pretty much know who and why from the beginning. All it really succeeded at for me was making local law enforcement appear inept.


Ask Again Yes also started out  strong, but the characters I liked in the beginning all wore on me by the end.



Wild Game was my last read of the year. I was anticipating Brodeur's memoir since spring when the publication date was set. I probably shouldn't have listened to her on Dani Shapiro's Family Secrets Podcast because I knew all the secrets before page one. That definitely dulled the read and made me approach the story from a more critical angle. That being said I devoured the book in a few cold night hours.


I was gifted the Canal House cookbook for Christmas and I treated myself to Magnolia Table after loaning it from the library for 6 weeks and using it often. I am thinking about buying Skinnytaste's new cookbook. I've made a few recipes and I have others I'd like to try. I find them perfect for busy weeknights. Nothing fancy or putsy. I still don't own a Instant Pot cookbook and I won't until I find the one that suits me best. I love giving cookbooks a trial run by getting them from the library. When I hesitate to return them, I know they're worth owning.


2020 started out strong. I chose Yaa Gyasi's debut novel for my book club gathering and it was my first read of the new year. I am big on historical fiction set in Africa. This story was far reaching and important. I thought it was going to be one thing. it was another and even better. It's full of big questions, thus perfect for rich discussion. It was a club pleaser.


Then I went in for a little literary fiction. I was happy to get Patchett's latest much sooner than expected. Don't you just love the cover? I adored this book. I connected with the characters, the brother sister relationship, the dry wit, the heart.


Know My Name is my first memoir of the year. Memoir is my go to genre. It's a relevant topic that has me thinking that I have a daughter going off to college before too long and also remembering a few times (yes, few) in my life when I could have definitely pressed charges.


The other night I finished The Wives. It was a quick and compelling thriller...a 3 night investment. I am sure this will be made into a movie. It's a movie I'll likely see. 


Eating:


Lots of chicken...still. Working on 900 of 1000 ways to eat chicken. Recently made this chicken Souvlaki recipe and the healthier version of a gyro was family approved.


This Chicken Fajita Pasta was a hit. It was a tasty, quick  weeknight meal.


You never can go wrong at Casa Wags with a pan of chicken thighs in a honey Dijon sauce.



I thought  I would cook more for Ted when he was on break, but he was out and about a lot. Many nights Lil cooks for herself. Her go to meals right now are Trader Joe's Orange Chicken and her own Taco Salad.

I've made many pots of soup: Lentil, Zuppa Toscana, Pasta Fagioli (which I could eat every day), French Onion and Roasted Tomato just last night. You will never eat tomato soup out of a can after eating this simple, delicious bowl of freshness topped with grated onion and a cheddar cheese lid.


We baked a lot in December. We're on a break. In fact I have to bring dessert to a Super Bowl Party tonight and I bought pastries. Cannot remember the last time I did that.

Kristen's 51st bday Sunshine cake.

Rosie's Grasshopper Pie

My famous French Silk.

Ted's Crepe Cake.

Watching:

 'Tis the season of too much t.v. We worked our way through Messiah and You. Both very entertaining Netflix originals. Now we're pacing ourselves through Outlander. Lily and I saw and very much loved Little Women over break. She didn't want to go and then she was glad that I guilted her into it. We saw Just Mercy as a family and we all gave it the big thumbs up. Mike and I saw The Musical Parody of The Office this week. It was a lovely night, but the show was very disappointing. Some of the casting was questionable and distracting. Michael Scott was played by a woman who overparodied the character. She reminded me of a cross between Androgynous Pat and Sam Kinison.



Enjoying: 

Walks in the woods, a new striped wool sweater Teddy helped pick out for me on a mother son shopping date, story slams with my pals, dates with my guy, the way Lily smiles so brightly now without her braces, my new wine decanter (thank you babe), a new window I bought on a whim, happy vases of tulips, Belgian chocolate milk (sinful), cloudy days (it's true), the many faces of Tigger.











Thinking about:


These quotes from The Dutch House. Both touched a nerve.

"I'd never been in the position of getting my head around what I'd been given. I only understood what I'd lost."

"After years of living in response to the past, we had somehow become miraculously unstuck, moving forward in time just like everyone else."

How to live my best life this new year. My GF surprised me with this sweet bracelet after she asked me about my word last week. Her's is compassion. We're working on Lily's now. Empathy? Kindness?


No comments: