Sunday, February 9, 2020

This Week


I woke up to snow this morning. I may be one of the only truly happy residents of this state to feel such warm joy over the cold inches accumulating. The only thing happier than all day snow is when the storm hits on a Sunday. Today is Sunday. I will be a guilt free shut in making Valentine treats to send to Ted (brownies, blueberry muffins and banana bread...I don't think it's wise to send a French Silk Pie) and a pot of soup (broccoli cheddar), reading books (onto book 6 of 2020...Olive Again), watching the Oscars.



I am oddly into the Oscars this year. Not because I'm rooting for any particular film. I saw and liked a couple. Marriage Story was very well done and I love me some Adam Driver, but I don't see it...him scoring an award. Little Women was delightful, but it's a classic that's been done so many...too many times before. Mike and I went on a movie date late yesterday afternoon to see what I think will win best picture. 1917 was very well done. Surprisingly, I liked it more than Mike did, but we were both unconvinced that it was Oscar worthy. The way the studios turn out films these days, I don't question why so many are good, but not great. That being said, it was a treat to see the WWI film on the big screen and to have a tub of popcorn for lunch.

We came home and watched Joker. We were on a roll. A mission. Joaquin's performance was 100 percent Oscar worthy. Hand's down he deserves to win tonight. I fell asleep during Rocketman. I don't think it stands a chance when held up to last year's winner. Bohemian Rhapsody was one of those now rare, truly great films. We'll fill out our ballots and stay tuned tonight.

Friday we were tuned to Lizzo and her Tiny Desk Concert. Lily had some friends for a sleepover and I had a friend for Happy Hour. I guess you could say it was a girl's night plus Mike He's a sport. Lily has such a nice group of friends and for that I am truly grateful. After a quick breakfast Saturday morning, the girls said goodbye so Lily could get her driver's permit. In 6 months, she'll be on the road. She is very excited and she's also a pretty good driver.




Ted seems to be settling back in at school. He was home for 12 hours this week to deal with the speeding ticket he got over winter break. The speeding ticket he got the very first time he drove his car after months. It was well worth the trek home. He requested calzones for dinner. Mike and I took that as a sign to do our weekly shopping at Gloriosos. That is a treat. I chose the wine that night with The State of the Union in mind. The four of us were interested to hear the speech. Lily made me record Friday night's debate. Folks, she's 15 and informed.



I look forward to the week ahead. Not because there is anything exciting going on. Quite the opposite. It will be another week of simple joys, ordinary bright spots and the little things that matter big.

No comments: