Thursday, September 26, 2019

weekending

The weekend was high on emotion...missing my mom, reuniting with Ted, celebrating my dad, saying goodbye to Teddy again.

Saturday was my mom's birthday. The last one we celebrated with her here was the big 6-0. It is a day etched indelibly in my heart and mind. I purposefully made few plans for what is usually a melacholy day for me. I woke early, spent a solid chunk of quiet time, and then was visited by a friend who came with a trinket that would only become more important as the day wore on. It was a lovely silver and orange enamel dish in the shape of a pumpkin because pumpkins always remind her of McGurk. They remind her of my mom because she restored an orange 70s VW Beetle with a black convertible top and naturally her name was Pumkin. We had lots of fun in that car all through high school and beyond.

My brother and my husband left early Saturday morning for Madison for a visit with T Bone and a very good football game.I was grateful for the many texts and pictures I got throughout the day of my guys together having fun. Mike sent me a text during the game to tell me that Kathy's song was on at Camp Randall. Earth Wind and Fire's The 21st Night of September was playing at the game at the exact same time it was playing in my kitchen. Coincidence? Kismet? All I know is that the synchronicity of that audible message spoke volumes to my heart. There are some things I seek not to explain.

Mass was comforting especially when my aunt appeared in the foyer as we were sneaking out. You see it's not her church...she ended up there...then...randomly, and yet I beg to differ. She heard my mom's name read and then looked for us in the crowd very much feeling that we would be there. We all felt that there was some divine intervention involved.

After church, Lily and I went for an early dinner at Pizza Man so I could have my escargot. Her Caesar salad was better, but I enjoyed our time there together. As we left and were walking to our car, a orange bug with a black top drove by. It's not a car you see every day, but I wasn't the least bit surprised I crossed paths with it this day. In fact the sighting filled me with abundant joy and I know I embarrassed Lily a little when I ran down the street to get a picture of it, yet she understood. She knows me.

We took the long way home along the lake and then veered off to see Nanny's house. I almost knocked on the door to ask for a tour, but that would have been the end of Lil. It was a good day. A good night. I went to bed feeling only a little bit sad, but mostly grateful that I felt close to my mom all day and excited for more family time Sunday.

I was up early again Sunday and got right to baking my dad's birthday cake which just happened to be my Grandma Rosie's family favorite banana cake with cream cheese frosting. I made it my own by topping it with a rich chocolate ganache and lots of chopped walnuts. It's all gone. It was good.

The boys were planning to golf before our gathering, but the weather had other plans. Instead they played poker and took breaks to watch the Packer game and do Ted's laundry for the first time since he's left home. It was a family affair. He's a lucky guy. Grandma kept him in snacks all afternoon long.

We all enjoyed the ode to summer dinner: roasted chicken, pulled pork, sweet corn and potatoes. Teddy maybe most of all. He put in his order with Grandpa for breakfast Monday morning before he returns him to Madison. A breakfast request is the way to Grandpa's heart.

It was so good to see Ted's face, give him a hug, catch up on his life, send him back with a stash (a bag full of clean laundry, more boxers, a peck of apples and a few other things). I think the cutest thing was when he tried to greet Lil with knocks and she said, Oh no you don't...I need a hug. Ted obliged with a shy smile. At the end of the night they were sharing the same couch and her legs were draped over his. Be still my heart. They miss each other.

I cried as we drove down my dad's driveway having to say goodbye to Ted again, but I know we're Madison bound for a visit in a couple weeks and then before long he'll be home for Thanksgiving break.

And yet, I'm not speeding the plow, wishing my life away. I think we're all in a good place. I'd like to linger here awhile.













 




No comments: