Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Take Another Little Piece of my Heart Now Baby


We moved Teddy to Madison this weekend. It's official that he has flown the coop...we are single nesters. It went well. We were pretty organized, mostly on time and the four of us got to work assembling his new life like this is something we do every Sunday. I think we overwhelmed Yash just a little with the amount of stuff and our sheer will to put it all in place. He came from Hong Kong a few days earlier so he had to be more discerning with regard to the things he brought. It's his first time in the United States and I just wanted to hug him, but I accepted his hand shake instead. You see...I cannot fathom sending Teddy all the way to Hong Kong for college. I sure would want some sweet mother to take care of him.

It was sort of surreal driving onto campus on the bright and sunny move-in day. Within minutes, I spied one of Ted's crew playing Frisbee in the commons. We turned a corner and saw two more families we know. I even couldn't believe it when my husband started hugging the guy in the van who parked next to us. It turns out they went to high school together and it just so happens his son is living a room away from Teddy. This is a freshman class of almost 6500 students.

We rolled our bins down the hall and past Teddy's neighbor who was his junior prom date. An hour later, we left with our empty bins and her room still looked like an explosion a work in progress. I have been constantly reminded this summer that there are times boys are much easier than girls. We are not fretting over decor. We are all about function. Truth be told, I wanted to set up everything, but I'm glad he at least let us help make his bed and put away his clothing. He and Yash will figure out the rest. It's their room.

Ted walked us out to the car and I can honestly say I was a little shocked it was already time. I knew it would be like an out of body experience for me so I left him with a note expressing my feelings.We said our teary goodbyes, laughed when he accepted the bundle of bananas I brought from home, and I forced myself to watch him walk back to his new home. I resisted the uncannily strong urge to call to him for one more hug. He didn't turn back. I'm glad. I don't think could have taken that.

As we pulled away, Lily thought out loud, 'What's he going to do next? He's got to figure this all out by himself." The only other conversation was, 'Can I have a Kleenex? Did you get a text from Ted yet? What do you think Ted's doing now?"

We were home lickedy split. That's comforting knowing he's not very far away. Without collaboration, we three sent Teddy texts as soon as we got home. He responded pronto and sweetly. I was surprised that I felt emotionally exhausted after the build up and uncertainty of the last few months. I also felt happysad and relief. Relief knowing he was situated, surrounded by friends, ready. He's got like 30 pair of boxers, 40 pair of socks, an extra set of sheets he'll have no idea how to put on his bed, a ginormous box of Goldfish he's been living on the past couple days.

When Lily asked to host a sleepover with two and then three friends, I said yes. I knew it would make the house feel less empty. Before the girls went to bed, I asked them if they had any breakfast requests. Then I obliged them all. Eggs Benedict, French toast and chocolate chip pancakes. Teddy loves breakfast. Lily never eats it. Mike and I were happy to have a crew to cook for. It was a distraction.

Speaking of distractions, I decided to host Teddy's Last Supper Saturday night. I was loco, yet sane enough not to argue with my dad who insisted on bringing his and Food and Wine's favorite WI bbq for dinner. Ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork, corn bread, mac and cheese, slaw...comfort food was the ticket. All I had to do was pick up a Simma's cheescake for my aunt who turned 60 on Friday and then guilt her into coming despite the fact she's got a full plate right now. It wasn't hard...she's Catholic. And I'm pretty sure she's glad she decided to show up. We sure were. As insane as it seems to have a party before a big day like that, I tell you it's not. It's part of eking out every last moment, making more memories, being here now, being present, spreading joy, seeking strength.

The boys played a farewell game of poker. We all watched old family movies. I'm so grateful I have them...the movies, the memories, my loved ones. After we said our goodbyes, Mike, Ted, Lily and I gathered for a final game of Wizard. Then we retired to the family room for one more video. The game and the encore movie were at Ted's request. It was a very good one.
  





No comments: