Sunday, September 1, 2019

Letter To My Son

September 1, 2019

Dear Teddy,

We are almost all packed up and ready to move you to
Madison. Well, not really ready.
Ready might be an optimistic word choice.
All summer I have resisted the urge
to feel time so swiftly marching on.
It has been a great few months
topped off with another fun week
At Webb Lake and I’m sad it’s over,
but it’s only over for now.
We’ll go again. Hopefully, next summer.

And while I’m sad and I’m going to miss you so much,
I’m also excited for you and I’m proud of you
and I know that you’ll eventually come home.
This will always be your home.
Come home whenever you want or need to
and call home at least once a week. Please.
Text often. Just to say ‘hi.’
It will make my day to hear from you
and help me miss you a little less.
Let me know if you need anything at all:
an ear, some special lotion, a loaf of banana bread.

So on the cusp of this new chapter in your life,
I don’t really feel the need to give you lots of advice.
We have raised you to be a fine young man
and I know you will continue to work hard,
make good choices and do good in this world.
I also know that you will balance this with a great deal of fun.
Balance is the key word, but I’m certain you know that.
Take advantage of every opportunity and take the time
to figure out what will really make you happy in life.
As your mother, I can tell you that it’s true:
your happiness is what makes me happy.
That is my number one wish for you.

I love you Teddy...to the moon and back!

XO,

Mama

No comments: