Saturday, April 13, 2019

All Good

I'm just stopping by. I had it in my mind to write this week. There were things that I wanted to say. Things that seemed important, but alas no post. Today I don't have anything weighty to write, but I have the urge. I mean it's Saturday morning. What possibly can be heavy or pressing?

Ted left at 6:30 this morning for his first golf match of the season. I could tell he was excited and maybe a little nervous last night. He stayed in and that was the first clue. Well, except for running out last minute to get a battery for his range finder. No comment. He was going to make a stop for balls too, but I unceremoniously pulled a box out the secret closet. They were meant for his Easter basket - a tradition I was toying with skipping this year because there have been many purchases of sports equipment and sprees for the fashionista, but I knew deep down I wouldn't. I've been squirreling away little gifts for weeks. I may skip the candy though. Truthfully, I'll probably give them Easter baskets until they have children of their own.

Ted's early rising didn't wake me. Normally, I would set my alarm so I could a. make sure he was up and b. send him off with a sustaining meal, but I won't be calling to wake him in college, and the team had plans to stop for breakfast on the way to Washington County. It's Ted's course. It's the home of his personal best. No pressure. No great expectations either. It is cold and Kansas crazy windy today. Not ideal golf conditions.

Peanut woke me. He stood right on my chest and meowed in my face until I got out of bed. I was grateful he waited until 8 o' clock. All week I struggled with getting out of bed in the morning - 6:15 turned to 6:30 turned to 6:45 and that's pushing it, but Ted was home sick a couple days so I was down a breakfast and a lunch. He's feeling better and I'm glad. My kids don't get sick often and for that I'm grateful. Grateful for obvious reasons, but also because Ted is an insufferable sick person. I know he felt cruddy and he had to slow down, which is not in his nature, but he moaned and groaned about just wanting to die, and why has he been sick for so long, and when would he feel better. He sprawled out on the floor of my dressing room Thursday morning and I had to step over him to get ready for work. He just wanted me to see his pain and I did. What is a mother's job if not to take care and make better?

I came home a few hours later with a tureen of chicken noodle soup from the Jewish deli. He texted me while I was in line to also bring him dessert. I sensed he was starting to turn the corner. I was right. He ate half a corned beef sandwich, and I do believe he was coveting my half too. Then he polished off the better half of a thick slice of carrot cake. My mama heart was content to see him getting well and also to be able to make things a little better. Yes, I was thinking that I won't be able to do that next year. Sigh.

We didn't make any plans this weekend. The next two weekends will be full so it's good to take it easy. I have 50 pages of my book left, a stack waiting, a request for peanut butter cookies and another for French silk pie I'll likely indulge. Some spring cleaning is imminent. Laundry always. Tomorrow is Palm Sunday. We will be present in our pew to hear the familiar story of the Lord's Passion. There will be Sunday dinner - a coming together at the end to gear up for the beginning. A new week. Holy week. Perhaps, a college decision. Work, school, practices and games, and preparations for an Easter brunch next weekend. All good.

This past week I kept hearing Annie Dillard's words,

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.

so simple and so very true.


No comments: