Friday, August 10, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

While last week was a blur, this week was a whirlwind. There were lots of moving pieces, but somehow we all got to where we needed to be when we were expected. I'm savoring this slow and quiet morning...this time to be here looking back on my life the last 7 days.

One week ago, my aunt was released from the hospital. My cousin and I welcomed her home. We sat at her kitchen counter rehashing the events of the week and sharing Chinese takeout. It was a little surreal after the scare she gave us that she was standing, laughing, living.

Spending time with my cousin GiGi who flew in from Austin. It was one of the unexpected bright spots of a difficult week.

Saturday we spent the sweaty day at Windmill Beach celebrating Lily and 14. The water was the nicest it's been all summer, and perhaps, the mildest we'll get all season. We basked in it for hours.

 Lily and her fishy friend had another fun day at the beach.


Ted even spent a good amount of time submerged. Then on the beach, he practiced pitching and driving. The beach is a giant sand trap and the lake a wide open fairway.


He also tried to teach the rest of us how to floss. It was good entertainment.


It was a small, but fun group. We missed some, but given the impromptu nature of the celebration, we kept it small. 


Lily felt loved and that's what's most important.


She started golf this week. She has the blisters to prove she's putting in her time on the range.


On her birthday, Lily and I went to see the Christopher Robin movie. We both loved it. Then the boys joined us for dinner.


The girls enjoyed ramen.


Winnie the Pooh wisdom. 

Like, "I always get to where I'm going by walking away from where I've been."

Small brained bears with big hearts.

I didn't wow the birthday girl on the gift front this year, but she understood given the recent goings ons and I believe she knows I'll make it up to her, and yet she was gracious.


The cats were in their glory.



Ted scored a caddying gig for a female pro this week. Min Lee is from Taiwan and she's playing in the WPGL. He negotiated his rate and cut with her manager. That's big leagues baby.

A new stack of reads. Of course, these are the three books I've been most anxiously awaiting all summer and they all came in at once. I started with There There because it's only mine for 1 week. The other 2 I have for 3.


The first batch of homemade ice cream of summer 2018 was inspired by a forgotten pint of strawberries. I've never been a fan of strawberry ice cream until I made my own. It was summer on a spoon.


Cat nip.


A nip with friends last. Happy hour at Casa Wags with some of my very best girls: one I talk to every morning and the other I talk to every night. They know me and they love me and their constancy is a blessing in my life.

This weekend we'll gather with old friends we don't see often enough. My oldest friend married Mike's oldest friend so we have so much shared history. There's comfort in that kind of camaraderie. The kind that connects you for life.

Life is good.

No comments: