What a difference a few weeks make. When I last checked in here, I was still deep in a summer state of mind. Although it's officially summer for a few more days, signs of fall are everywhere. Mike made the first pot of soup as temps cooled, a delicious steak fajita with rib eyes that were a little fancy for that purpose, but enjoyed nonetheless. Enjoyed while watching the Packers despite the fact they gave the game away. My aunt, who was visiting from Arizona last week, bought my first mum of the season, and some of her sourdough starter, Earl, for fresh bread. All week we fed and proofed and completed the steps. Tomorrow, I will bake off the loaves. Nothing says cozy like bread baking in the oven.
It was a good and full week of visiting: family suppers in, dinner and brunch out with friends, binge watching true crime and old family movies, catching up into the wee hours, stocking up on local favorites from The Spice House, Sciortinos, Usingers and Cheese Mart, cooking together, just being together. I'm already looking forward to more of the same when we visit in November.
I've been off this week...tired and a little blue. It's a tricky time for me. Monday would be my Mom's 78th birthday and one week later will be eighteen years without her. Missing her is a constant slow burn, but this week my feet are to the fire. My Mom was known to say, What doesn't kill us, doesn't kill us, and I'm still living and loving the best I can one day, one week, one month at a time.

No comments:
Post a Comment