Thursday, August 13, 2026

Full

weekend...house...heart.

 

We celebrated Lil's 22nd Friday. Twenty-two seems about right so I'm not going to get up in my feelings. At the birthday girl's request, our first stop was for bagels and coffee, and then we spent extra quality time painting pottery because Michael brought his inner artiste to Glaze. For the record,  I admire the man who can embrace such things. Our next stop was my favorite beer garden next to the Milwaukee River. We drank cold beer, made friends (with Geoffrey) and played Gin. It was quite a lovely day. The kids left us at home while they went out for a birthday dinner and a night of jazz.

 

 

The other kids came Friday night because their apartment was 90 degrees. The air went out mid-week and the temps were rising. When Ted shared a picture of Manny cooling off in the frig, I knew it was bad. I made them dinner late night, which is one of my love languages. Ted is studying for the last leg of his CPA and I've been on a mission to keep him well-fueled. Meryl and I burned the midnight oil and then some while enjoying not one, but two bottles of wine. We chatted until the sun came up and paid the price for it Saturday without regret. Heart to hearts are worth sleep deprivation. My big accomplishments of the day were a big pot of pasta with a side of spinach and a below B ratted movie. I slept well Saturday night knowing my son got his vegetables, which he confessed he's been lacking, and that we were all under one roof with a well stocked pantry and freezer. The Last House was the movie and if you watch it, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Sunday was Lil's birthday dinner. Rather impromptu, but not overdue. She requested calzones and a lemon cake. Mike rolled the dough and I tried a new recipe for the cake. The kids played cribbage and created their calzones. I love Sunday dinner and especially when celebrating my baby.

 

 

The kids are still here a week later. It's been nice having them and being able to take care of them. They're in the throes of demands and if  I can make their lives a little easier, it makes mine happier. Lily went into the office today for the first time this week, Ted's at the kitchen island with his spreadsheets and lectures working and studying, Mike's in his office upstairs, and Meryl is getting ready for work. I'm going for a walk during my lunch because I'm working from home today.  The cats are all in their afternoon snooze spots. Yep, good and full.

 

 

 

 

No comments: