Tuesday, February 20, 2024

weekending

Here I am at the end of February, the shortest fastest month of the year, realizing I haven't been here at all. Life has been happening, mostly good and happy, and I've just been taking it all in. After the holidays, we had a full house for a good part of January. Then days after we got our students settled for spring semester, we left for a week in Mexico. I came home and got sick. Not debilitating stay in bed sick, but zapped just showing up for the bare necessities under the weather. And after ailing for two weeks, I'm pretty sure I now have a slight case of the blues.

A weekend with Ted and Meryl was a mood booster. They came home Friday night to recover from Mardis Gras the weekend before and do lots of laundry. They left well-rested and well-fed Sunday eve with bags of leftovers. In the 48 hours they were here, I made a huge pot of welcome home chili, we headed to Kohler for a hike on one of the coldest days of the winter thus far followed by lunch at the cozy cottage at River Wildlife (Ted ate elk), had wine flights at the Blind Horse and then naps back at Casa Wags. Before we left, I fired up a crock of buffalo chicken because when they are home, I feed them. We noshed, sang Meryl Happy Birthday - her golden is Thursday - ate Grandma Rose's Banana Cake with Buttercream frosting and played a girl dominated, entertaining few games of Quiplash. It was a good day. Sunday too: lots of hanging around with Gus, Hazel and Harry Potter.

Monday came too soon and too sunny. This quasi winter is not for me. The kind of seasonal disorder I suffer from is lack of winter. It's true. I stepped out this morning to temps and smells that remind me of May. I don't like sub-zero, but I also am not keen on skipping a whole season.

Today I came home with the intention of taking a walk on this 50 degree afternoon. I ended up watching an episode of This is Us with my girl, Hazel. I'm finally finishing this beloved show, but I don't think it's doing much for my mood. It's a whole lot. A lot of heavy, angst and tears, but how I love those Pearson's. I envy their presence and emotional intelligence. I don't have the number of intentional conversations in a year that they have in one episode.

But I'm thinking maybe I should. 





 



 

No comments: