Monday, March 27, 2023

weekending

This morning's air smelled like spring. I know that scent to be petrichor. It's the earthy, yet fresh smell released by the wet pavement. The warm sun is melting the snow so fast that it sounds like a body of running water.  It stands to reason that petrichor is also known as the ethereal substance that flows through the veins of the Greek Gods. We had quite a storm overnight Friday well into the day Saturday. It was a welcome lazy snow day. I finally got my Grand Cayman pictures uploaded. We shoveled, showered and were out the door for dinner at Pete and Sue's. I haven't seen them since Zihua so we had lots of catching up to do and then we started planning our same time next year visit.

Yesterday we drove to Chicago to visit Ted and to stock his frig for one last time. We had every type of weather imaginable on the way there and back, and I felt badly because I sort of coerced convinced Mike to take the spontaneous, and at times, precarious ride. Ted sort of guilted convinced me that we needed to come. He will be in Portugal when we are there for a last hurray of our pied-a-terre Easter weekend. It was snowing so heavily on the trip home that I thought we might have to pull over and wait it out. 

That being said, we both agreed once we were home safe at 9 o'clock that we were glad we went. We had a fancy not fancy lunch at RL Cafe. Tuna Tartare (ordered by Ted!) and Cote du Rhone in the afternoon is fancy. Cheeseburgers and fries and IPAs are not so fancy. The price was fancy, but well worth it. Our walk about the city was cut short by a cold driving rain and it was just as well because we returned to Ted's place and watched rainbows replace the rain. I'm going to miss this view. The guys played crib and I curled up on the couch under an afghan and watched true crime. Just being together was the point.

I just got off the phone with Lils. A student took his life by jumping off a nearby dorm. Her friend witnessed the aftermath. I have no words. It's another reminder to live in the day, cherish the moment and let your loved ones know you are always there for them.


 








No comments: