Wednesday, June 7, 2023

what if?

I couldn't get out of bed this morning. The chill in the air coming through the windows ajar made for the most glorious sleeping weather. I lost count how many times I hit snooze. It would also have been a good morning for a walk...one of those start of the day walks I was talking up just yesterday. There's always tomorrow. See how kind I am to myself.

I needed the rest and because I listened to my body, I feel great today. I came home yesterday and took my favorite kind of nap: the breeze blowing in the sounds of the neighborhood with my girl Hazel snuggled up on top of me. That nap meant I stayed up later than planned and yada yada...so it goes.

Right now it is day by day at Casa Wags. We are four adults going in fifty different directions. Dinner may be at 9 o'clock or not at all. Last night Ted stayed in Chicago and Lily was with friends so I had popcorn for dinner. Mike picked a movie that took us rather by surprise. Vengeance was a dark horse of a film that had us laughing out loud and also saying a ha. I highly recommend it as a commentary on life in this day and age. It started off really funny and then the serious undertones became less subtle.

One line spoken by Ashton Kutcher (who was great btw) stuck with me...

We trade in our entire lives for the little pieces that get recorded of us.

It's so true in this digital age. We're always capturing the moment from the outside looking in instead of savoring it. We want to save it for later. Revisit it. What about now? How many times have you been busy recording something instead of just being present? It's a good reminder to put the phone down. It really is so much better.  

Another nugget was..

Everything means everything, so nothing means anything.

Yep. If every one gets an A or everyone gets an award, what do those measures even mean? And on the flip side, if we get lost in analyzing and pulling apart every little thing for meaning, we become paralyzed...stuck. We speak in superlatives and and seek the latest and greatest. We consume without digesting: moments, milestones, meals, media. We are a nation of pleasure seeking hedonists: more more more. The bigger the better. It's not healthy, nor is it true. Some things mean something. Some things mean everything. 

And I'll get off my soap box to enjoy the rest of my day after this last one...

In my life it's all regrets. You run as fast as you can from the last regret and of course you're just running straight into the next one. That's life. It's all regrets. Everything starts with a regret. Ends with regrets. Regrets in the middle. It's all regrets. Make them count.

This one made me sad, but the last line made me smile. I think we're programmed to be hypercritical and that leads to feeling less than. Less than we are supposed to be or we are capable of being. Less than our friends and colleagues and the influencers who curate their perfect lives for us to envy. What if we just stopped listening to all the little voices? The voice in our heads or in our ears that are plugged in all the time? The voices of the people who boast or nay say or criticize? The voices that lie, taunt and invoke fear? Can you imagine how many fewer regrets you'd have?


 

No comments: