Thursday, June 22, 2023

Solstice and Stuff

 

Yesterday was the longest day of the year and still we had dinner well after dark. I made quite the solstice feast and I have the lingering scent of garlic on my hands to prove it. I put together a Mediterranean meal, which is perfect for grazing and eating in shifts, which we do a lot of this summer. I love me a an interesting mezze platter: fresh feta, crisp veggies, lots of olives, and grilled lamb and chicken to stuff in pitas and top with a dollop of tzatzki. I made Jaleo spinach because Jess was coming to dinner and we loved this dish when dining there in DC years ago. I also tried a recipe for Greek Lemon Potatoes. I didn't execute it quite right, but they were tasty. I will perfect this recipe before summer's end. A chilled pink Bordeaux was the perfect pairing.


Jess scooped Ted from the train on her way and Meryl arrived in time to join T and Lily for a pre-dinner workout. They all came home famished, which I loved because nothing makes me happier than feeding my peeps.

After dinner, we roped Jess in for a game of Quiplash. She ended up staying for three so I'm pretty sure she likes it as much as we do. It's a damn good thing we played that last game too. Finn Houdinied and was frolicking around the yard. I looked up and saw him running past the open patio doors on.the.outside. If not for the last game, he may have been out all night long. I have no idea how long he was on the prowl or how he got out, but he was pretty proud of himself. His brother and sister could not take their noses off him when we coaxed him back in. It's going to be a long summer said on day one.

Tonight we are going to see Eric Church and Elle King. I haven't been to or missed Summerfest in several years, yet I am looking forward to enjoying live music on this lovely eve. It's the first night and the Big Bang so it might be a little loco, but I am a big Church fan.

I'm working from home tomorrow, which means the weekend starts early. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Father's Day. Saturday we did BBQ with my dad and Sunday was golf and Mama Mia's for Mike. It was a bit of a tricky holiday this year: the first without his Dad and his brother. It made sense to keep it on the down low.

The 4th is in the purview. It'll be different this year without Windmill Beach. I'm just so grateful that we booked Webb Lake for the end of the summer. 


No comments: