Thursday, November 3, 2022

I Heart NY

I had to drop something off downtown today. I didn't mind the lack of traffic or the parking spot right in front of the business I was visiting. Then I drove the 10 miles back to work along the lakefront feeling relaxed and grateful that this is home.

I love NY and was glad to visit last week, but I'm an unapologetic fan of my hometown. Every single time I go away, this gratitude is reaffirmed.

I grew up when taking a flight was a treat and a privilege. We dressed up and used our best manners. The stewardesses (yes, all woman) were always helpful and friendly and the pilots (all men) were proud and professional. Drinks flowed and meals were served. I don't miss the meals or the smoke filled cabins, but I surely am nostalgic for that sense of common goodwill travelers shared. Everyone felt lucky to be going on an adventure or reconnecting with loved ones.

Flying is no longer fun. People are rude and in a rush whether they have a deadline or not. Everyone wants to get on first and get off first pushing the limits with their carryons. I witnessed a young mother laden with baggage as well as a baby in a carrier get one dirty look after another as she squeezed down the aisle. I smiled at her. She apologized. "No need," I said. "I've been there. You're fine." A young hipster with ear buds in rammed me in the head with his backpack. He said nothing. The steward and stewardesses were aloof and annoyed. The pilots looked tired. Both coming and going we experienced 2 hour maintenance delays after boarding the plane. I would have much rather have been waiting in the terminal instead of the stuffy plane. Flying is no longer glamorous, but it still felt worth it when I saw the NYC skyline through the moody end of day sky.


It wasn't ideal to arrive during rush hour and our driver continued to let us know that during the 60 minutes it took to get from LaGuardia to Midtown. It had been a long day of travel so after getting settled, I went for a walk to clear my head and get my bearings. It was a beautiful bustling night in the city. I stopped across the street at Nehri for a delicious glass of cold Moscofilero while I waited for my Chicken Limonata to go. It was a delicious choice. If you are only going to have one meal a day, this is a good one. I'm still thinking about that pita.



I slept like a rock, and then headed to 30 Rock early Thursday morning for a day of meetings at NBC. It was a good, but long day.






We took a rikshaw back to the hotel knowing it would be faster than a taxi and also more fun. Mohammed covered us with a blanket and played Sinatra's NY NY and then Alicia Keys' Empire State of Mind while he wove through traffic. I got chills and not because I was cold. The wind in my face and the several close calls got my adrenaline going. Linda's too so we motivated to walk up the street for dinner at this darling bistro that went all out for Halloween. Inside and out it was covered in skeletons in all variety of interesting, humorous, provocative poses. It was better than a museum installation. Only in NY.


I washed down my Steak Frites with a delicious dirty martini. It was another meal well-earned and most enjoyed.


Friday morning we had to follow up on some work, but we were able to get out in the afternoon for some shopping, sightseeing and the securing of theatre tickets for the evening. Linda loves to shop and she especially loves the street vendors. We both scored some good deals. Linda makes friends with everyone we meet and passersby look at her trying to figure out if she is someone famous. It's quite entertaining.





I stepped into Our Lady of Fifth Avenue to light a candle for my mom. It was a rare moment of solitude in the chaos of the city, and one of my favorite stops of the trip.







I couldn't go into St. Patrick's because a wedding was being officiated. When the bridal party spilled out onto the street, the crowd erupted with cheers and applause. I got chills again. I won't forget that. I bet the bride won't either.



We shared a hotdog for lunch. A $15 lunch! It was the only street food we ate, and we never got to a deli. No NY bagels either, and they are the best. Next time.
 



After scoring tickets for The Music Man, we cabbed it back to the hotel with just enough time to change our shoes before dinner at The Monkey Bar. Yes, twinning, and we both ordered the burger which was outstanding. I opted for an espresso martini so I'd be fresh faced for the 8 o'clock show. It worked. Definitely want to come back to the swanky Monkey Bar with my guy.




It was my first time seeing The Music Man. I knew nothing about the story and not a single song, but I loved it! Both Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster were outstanding. I'm beyond grateful that we were able to sneak in a show, and it was extra fun to see a big star on Broadway. 






We walked back to the hotel flanked by men in tuxedos, couples out for late night strolls, people walking dogs...lots of people. The city never felt unsafe. Of course, we stayed in Midtown and stayed away from the subway. Everyone was friendly and kind everywhere we went.

Our week in the city turned into three days, but it was enough for a work trip with a little fun thrown in. I'm excited to come again with my husband. We've never been to NY together, and I would love this city even more exploring it with him.

Until next time NY.






No comments: