Friday, October 21, 2022

Happy and Grateful

Every day this week, I've been meaning to check in here and recount the lovely, restorative weekend we had with Lily...her first official weekend home from college. And every day, I've failed to do so. I've been a bit preoccupied: busy at work, getting ready for NYC, trying to fit in as many fall walks as possible. The week started out chilly, but the heat is off and some windows are open today much to the delight of the Tres Amigos. It's peak color here this weekend so our drive to Madison should be showy.



We are going for Homecoming and our anniversary. Twenty-seven happy years today, and in fact we'll be meeting up with some friends we haven't seen in about that long. I think our official celebration will be when we finally fit in that weekend in Chicago we've been talking about since spring. This weekend will be about the Badgers, tailgating and reconnecting with old friends and our kids and their tribes. All good. We met at our alma mater 35 years ago so it's a fitting and special place to be.

I have lists from both Teddy and Lily on what to bring. They will both be bummed that I cannot fulfill the Gus line item. Anyways last night he was a bunny, not a Badger. Ferocity is just not his style.

Next week I leave for NYC. I have a bit of anxiety over the trip, but I'll deal. The older I get, the less adept I am at handling unknowns. And yet, deep down I know that it will be good for me in many ways.

Today I'm just focusing on feeling happy and grateful for my marriage, my family, my life and October, which is my muse. It was a treat to have Lily home to share some of our fall favorites like apple picking, trail walking and scary movie nights. She's been nursing a cold so it was perfect timing for her to sleep late in her own bed, cozy in for some kitty time, and get some nourishing home cooking. We hosted an impromptu brunch on Sunday and I planned the menu around her favorites: Caesar Salad, a Margherita Frittata and fresh baked peasant bread. Family. She texted upon departing the bus back on campus Monday morning that she felt so much improved.

 

Home has a way of making everything better.


 


No comments: