Tuesday, October 11, 2022

weekending

Over the weekend, I got a text from Lily reminding me that we were in NYC 5 years ago. It was a girl's trip in celebration of a milestone birthday...13. She was so excited to experience the Big Apple and we had a lot of fun being co-travelers. I love NY, but these days Northern Wisconsin is more my speed. I blame this on Covid, my age and the chaotic, crime-ridden world we live in.

 As it happens, I will be going to the city in a couple weeks for work. There are things I'm looking forward to and things I am not. It's a wonderful opportunity for me and that is the focus. Linda is a frequent visitor so I will let her play tour guide. She forgets that I have been to NY many times. I say that with humor. There are so many New Yorks. This will be her version...Jewish delis, a show or two, walks in the Park. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to write a novel about this trip. A novel that could be a best seller.

Just as I was looking forward to finally settling in for fall...me and Mike the empty nesters, life has not cooperated. I'm not complaining. I'm commenting.

It was a beautiful weekend. A good one too. We did some yard work and took a trail walk on Saturday before hosting friends for dinner. Mike made ribs in a final homage to bbq and we picked up some more of the best sweet corn we've had all year from a nearby farm stand. I think the star of the meal was the ice cream parfaits I made  assembled for dessert. We felt like kids licking our mason jars clean.

Sunday I was up just in time to let Teddy in. He came home for a surprise visit. Turns out he had a date. I'm thinking she must be pretty special if he drove 90 miles for coffee and a hike. The timing was perfect because I was baking for care packages. I loaded him up with instructions to deliver his sister's ASAP. She may come home next weekend for a visit.

My brother and sister-in-law stopped by for an end of weekend happy hour and I sent them home with dinner too. I had made a full to the brim pot of Pasta Fagioli earlier so it was perfect. After they left, we got cozy under afghans and cats for a movie. The patio door was ajar letting the crisp night air in. It was a good stretch of days., and I'm off to a strong start this week.


 




No comments: