Friday, November 25, 2022

Still Grateful

 

We've had a full house. Full house equals happy heart. The kids came home Tuesday and they both brought friends. We hosted a Mexican fiesta at Casa Wags that night. I worked during the day, but Mike was off so he executed my menu muy bueno. My brother and sister-in-law joined us. I love when we have to pull out the extra chairs because that means interesting banter, lots of toasts and lingering long after the meal around the candlelit table. We're reminded of how much we all have in common and the very few degrees that separate us. And yet the differences, while they don't define us, distinguish us. Ava and Meryl have been welcome additions to the house this holiday weekend.

As I'm writing, the ladies are playing Gin with Mike, Teddy is writing a paper and Alan just dropped off extra tickets for tomorrow's Badger game. The weekend will be cut short by the last home game of the season against our Gopher rivals. Life is good whether we win back the axe or not.

I was already feeling grateful before taking stock yesterday. And distracted enough to focus on who is present as opposed to who is not. That being said, my mom is always on my mind at times like this. We had our moment while the rest of the house was still asleep yesterday. I put on the parade and had a little chat with her. Then I got busy making a beautiful breakfast frittata. Pee came for her annual Thanksgiving day visit. She made her mom's stuffing to take to her in-law's gathering while we did our best to catch up. It's not Thanksgiving without your favorite recipes...your mom's stuffing. It turns out that her mom's stuffing is my mom's stuffing. The elusive recipe is on the back of the Pepperidge Farm bag.I took a bite and it felt like a hug.

We loaded up the car and made our way to my parents. On the road, I sent holiday well wishes to family and friends around the country who were on my mind...in my heart. My Dad and Judy are King and Queen of Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite meals of the year and I appreciate all of the effort that goes into the feast. I love entertaining, but I'm not going to lie...this meal intimidates me. My dad made two turkeys. One roasted and one fried. All in all, I think it was about 35 pounds of meat for 10 people. There were lots of leftovers...thankfully. It's the best part. Well, after the communion.

I'm going for a walk with the girls. It's a beautiful 50 degree and sunny day. First, I'll make Ted a breakfast bagel. He's still writing his paper. And when I get home, I'm going to call my parents and thank them for the beautiful, delicious day we had yesterday.




 

No comments: